Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well, it’s 3rd and 28 on our own 25yd line down by 11 with 2:10 to go. We have the 2min warning and 1 timeout left. Pick up 14-16 inches, i mean, yards...and go for it on 4th down. Get the first, get into fg range and knock it through. Then the onsides, recover that....and we have a shot with 35sec to go.

I think Ray probably loses the bet but I would not count out 2 warning events between now and ides.  Maybe even 2 SECS.

32 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think Ray probably loses the bet but I would not count out 2 warning events between now and ides.  Maybe even 2 SECS.

I like the underdog mojo again.........I came into the season white-hot on the heels of last season's pretty much perfect verification. Now for about the past month to six weeks, no one expects me to sniff pickle's jock. Whether its because I have lost the mojo, or all of the 50-65 yo ladies have beat me to it is another story.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

50’s on Thursday? Lol

Oops.  Looks like you missed this one.

:hurrbear:

On 2/18/2019 at 12:41 PM, dendrite said:

See this.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019021800_96_519_217.png

Nice job by the Euro,

On 2/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

It is away from s Coast . Cold Thursday and Friday and see what the weekend brings 

Oops.  Wrong. 40s and 50s everywhere in SNE today.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

You take weather a lot more seriously than I do. Honestly there are more important things in life. 

I understand that...I'm married, and love my life.....it just so happens that I also love exciting weather.  But its okay to just admit that you don't want  to take the time to articulate your thoughts... it just makes verifying your ideas much easier than telling someone to look up some random post you made back in November.

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It feels like the entire period from 1984-1991 that was the dominant pattern during winter for whatever reason.  Even when we had west coast ridging it tended to be too far west.  The coldest periods tended to have the same evolution, December 89 the ridge was largely too far west part of the month  

Probably the reason for all the 1980s west coast/Rockies ski movies like better off dead. Heck, even hot tub time machine had the west coast ski lodge thing.

1 minute ago, #NoPoles said:

@CoastalWx @OceanStWx @dendrite

Or any other math person. How do you calculate the weight of a cubic yard of snow? I googled a cubic foot of snow generically weighs 20lbs. How would you calculate for my area based on the water content of the storm that just fell?

1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But I think her question was for a cubic yard of snow that had the density of this most recent event?

the 20 lbs/ cubic foot she mentioned was prob a 10:1 type snow.  This was denser I think 

if this was 5:1 including the sleet and rain, figure double that weight then multiply by 27

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

But I think her question was for a cubic yard of snow that had the density of this most recent event?

the 20 lbs/ cubic foot she mentioned was prob a 10:1 type snow.  This was denser I think 

Disclaimer- i have forgotten everything i used to know....also i suck at math...

Generically, given that 1 cubic foot weighs 20lbs, how do i figure out how much a cubic yard weighs? 

Lets say that is 10:1 ratio, is there a table somewhere to look up other ratios? Of say this snowfall was an 8:1 ratio, what would i do?

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

if this was 5:1 including the sleet and rain, figure double that weight then multiply by 27

Guess ratio and go from that. 7-8:1 is a good guess. So add 25-30% of weight?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Disclaimer- i have forgotten everything i used to know....also i suck at math...

Generically, given that 1 cubic foot weighs 20lbs, how do i figure out how much a cubic yard weighs? 

Lets say that is 10:1 ratio, is there a table somewhere to look up other ratios? Of say this snowfall was an 8:1 ratio, what would i do?

1 cubic foot = .037 cubic yards, roughly. 

1 minute ago, #NoPoles said:

Omg, i am having math anxiety....this is why i didnt make it in the meteorology program at lyndon state. So many numbers, and i know what i need, i just dont know what to do with the numbers to get what i need

Don’t put your snow in the freezer yet, it will snow again for you someday.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Several sources I see have 1” of snow weighing 1.25 lbs per square foot

1" of water over 1 sq ft is 929 mL, at 20 deg C, 760 torr of atmospheric pressure that would be 929 g or 2.08 lbs. Probably a little more than that for water near 0 deg C.

For 1" deep snow, assuming a 10:1 ratio, that's 0.208 lbs/ft^2, more if sleet/wet snow, less if fluff.

• Like 1