Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Great for your area.  That 3/56-2/61 stretch was incredible, with 7 storms 18-24" at our place.  The rest of my 21 years at that Jersey Highlands location featured just 2, both 18", in Jan. 1964 and Feb. 1969 (the Lindsay Storm.) 
Not so great for up here - while NYC was piling up about 70" from March 1960-Feb. 1961, Farmington had 54, compared to their average of 90.  Suppression was the story for most of NNE.

I was watching my flight radar app last night as some of the planes flying to Europe or just headed east towards the East Coast were showing ground speeds in excess of 750mph. That's unheard. Conversely, flights headed west from Boston were at speeds of only 300-350mph at 38,000ft. That's one hell of a tail wind and head wind respectively 

When we flew from Tokyo to SFO (great circle route) in March 2016, the seatback tracker showed ground speeds up to 800 mph as we were passing closest to the Aleutians.  Heading west ten days earlier (CHI-HNL) ground speeds averaged 450 and were lower at times.

My wife's a flight attendant and made it from PHX to BOS in 4hr the other night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alex said:

As good of a winter as we have had, it's nice to see a forecast with no mention of rain. It hasn't happened much. 

dont look at NWS for thur 

Thursday
Snow likely before 1pm, then a chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Southeast wind around 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You kno what’s funny ...if that pacific ridging had been hundreds of miles east this winter and we had a +PNA w STJ action we would probably be over 100” . Gimme 15-20” QPF and a +PNA -EPO and I’ll take the over on snow Dec-Mar 

You wouldn't have gotten the warm sector QPF though either ;).  So many high PWAT intrusions south of the warm fronts in events this season... but yeah if you moved the snow that's fallen up here, down there then 100+ seems like a good bet.

Then again it's funny in hindsight because if someone said gimme near normal temps and way above normal precip like this year, you'd take the over on snowfall.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You wouldn't have gotten the warm sector QPF though either ;).  So many high PWAT intrusions south of the warm fronts in events this season... but yeah if you moved the snow that's fallen up here, down there then 100+ seems like a good bet.

Then again it's funny in hindsight because if someone said gimme near normal temps and way above normal precip like this year, you'd take the over on snowfall.

And that’s exactly where science comes into it and it dictated why we didn’t in SNE.