Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Plausible given the PAC this winter.  So we monitor and if it can get ahead of the confluence we could see a nice event in New England.

I don't want to get people too riled up, but honestly, the synoptic pattern looks very similar to early Feb 1994 going into those snow events. Deep west coast trough with shortwaves ejecting east into a high-confuence pattern with a big SE ridge.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That makes for a good battle ground over the area as the ridge forces these north and the confluence will want to push them south.

These patterns can work really well if timing lines up right and the shortwaves being ejected are of reasonable strength. They can obviously fail too...so I'm with everyone being cautious/skeptical until we get closer...but the '94 analog is definitely proof that it can work. It's a very similar pattern.

GFS doesn't grind up the shortwave quite as much as, say, the Euro....so hopefully the latter trends that way (as it is doing with the Monday system).

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't want to get people too riled up, but honestly, the synoptic pattern looks very similar to early Feb 1994 going into those snow events. Deep west coast trough with shortwaves ejecting east into a high-confuence pattern with a big SE ridge.

It does.  Timing is everything.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Will just forecast Feb 8-12 1994...

The tilt of these storms as modeled on the Goofus is def more favorable vs the sleet/rain events that have 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, You fall into Gen x, I forget your older then some of these younger posters here, Then you remember the suckage from the 80's and lived it.

The 1980s were Farmington's least snowy decade, averaging 75.6" compared to the LT average of 90.0".  Fortunately, we lived in Ft. Kent for the first half of that period, and had 2 great winters:  81-82 with 186" including the April blizzard, and 83-84 with 171" and mongo dense snowpack.  Moved down to Gardiner in October 1985 and, except for one month (49" in Jan. 1987) things were pretty bleak until midwinter 1993.

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol thanks , confluence nailed a week out on an op model.

You would like to think that with the subtropical ridge that has persisted this season, we would be able to get this north.....if said ridge still exists. I don't know, I've been on a mental health break from weather.