• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

Most guidance had been showing pretty decent CAD with the late week system until the 12z euro. This is the first run that truly torches us. Reminds me of the storm a few days after 1/20 that annihilated us with 2" of rain and 55F temps. The euro today is almost a carbon copy. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most guidance had been showing pretty decent CAD with the late week system until the 12z euro. This is the first run that truly torches us. Reminds me of the storm a few days after 1/20 that annihilated us with 2" of rain and 55F temps. The euro today is almost a carbon copy. 

At least it isn’t until Friday.  I want to give my school ski club one decent Thursday evening

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

At least it isn’t until Friday.  I want to give my school ski club one decent Thursday evening

Thursday should be good. Light winds and not too cold and likely plenty of new snow. Any ZR should be groomed out by then. 

• Haha 1

the pattern being so elongated (anomalous) like that ...with narrow latitude waves racing along ... the spatial-temporal layouts per panel should be taken with a heavier dose of incredulity.  We got outside sliders along California while a contiguous broad trough is loaded down wind with s/waves... It's a very unstable look.  Talk about buck-shot.  Seems pretty ripe for error

Not that anyone asked but ... I think the later Tuesday and then Friday wave spaces are essentially correct; but as to the details ...?  meh.   Particularly in the latter case, as presently laid out ...not something one should be 'disappointed' or 'happy' with one way or the other.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS shows that 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That would keep the monthly streak of 50s dews going. 

Euro would rain well into Quebec. But there's some other solutions that are much more CADish that could give some front end snows and interior icing. The trend has been warmer though on the late week system so it needs to reverse to entertain more wintry solutions. The coast has really never been in the game and even interior SNE has been marginal even on the coldest solutions. But CNE/NNE could end up wintry if we go back toward the non-euro solutions. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

#thiswintersucksweenies

I wonder where this winter's rainfall would place it in comparison to a list of wet springs.  To be sure, not a high ranking, but I wouldn't be suprised if it were above normal.  Our rainers have been hefty ones.

30 minutes ago, alex said:

How is it that GYX doesn't even mention the possibility of rain late next week? 

Probably mostly focused on the midweek system.

But I didn't say it wouldn't rain on the overnight shift last night:

WE STAY ACTIVE BEHIND THAT SYSTEM...WITH ANOTHER TROF FOLLOWING FOR LATE IN THE WEEK. THIS TIME MODEL GUIDANCE AGREES THAT WE DO NOT HAVE A FAVORABLY POSITIONED HIGH PRESSURE TO HOLD COLD IN PLACE. WE DO HAVE DIFFERENCES IN TRACK HOWEVER...WITH THE 09.00Z ECMWF TAKING A SRN TRACK AND WHILE IT IS STILL ON THE MILD SIDE HAS MORE COLD AIR THAN THE 09.00Z GFS. A HIGH POP FORECAST BUT LOW CONFIDENCE PTYPE.

45 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Probably mostly focused on the midweek system.

But I didn't say it wouldn't rain on the overnight shift last night:

WE STAY ACTIVE BEHIND THAT SYSTEM...WITH ANOTHER TROF FOLLOWING FOR LATE IN THE WEEK. THIS TIME MODEL GUIDANCE AGREES THAT WE DO NOT HAVE A FAVORABLY POSITIONED HIGH PRESSURE TO HOLD COLD IN PLACE. WE DO HAVE DIFFERENCES IN TRACK HOWEVER...WITH THE 09.00Z ECMWF TAKING A SRN TRACK AND WHILE IT IS STILL ON THE MILD SIDE HAS MORE COLD AIR THAN THE 09.00Z GFS. A HIGH POP FORECAST BUT LOW CONFIDENCE PTYPE.

Yep. But today it reads:

"The progressive pattern continues with high pressure building immediately back into the region on Thursday allowing for sunshine and high to reach above freezing. Another chance for snow moves in late Friday into Saturday."

I'm not trying to be annoying but it seems weird if anything that today's shift would just ignore last night's AFD, combined with model trends, and not mention the possibility at all. I get the need to focus on this first system, but it's not like anyone is asking for an hour by hour play. With rain being more likely than snow as it seems right now, it seems sloppy not to even mention the possibility. Just some feedback. That's all. :)

Just now, alex said:

Yep. But today it reads:

"The progressive pattern continues with high pressure building immediately back into the region on Thursday allowing for sunshine and high to reach above freezing. Another chance for snow moves in late Friday into Saturday."

I'm not trying to be annoying but it seems weird if anything that today's shift would just ignore last night's AFD, combined with model trends, and not mention the possibility at all. I get the need to focus on this first system, but it's not like anyone is asking for an hour by hour play. But with rain being more likely than snow as it seems right now, it seems sloppy not to even mention the possibility. 

Yeah, not great. Digging into the grids it's even uglier than it looks.

We have the warm temps, but it's a 12 hour weather grid so it takes the average temp. That's just enough to sneak under the threshold for all snow (usually 34).

15 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

What a deluge in the late week system.  This has got to be by the  rainiest winter ever in SNE.

EDIT:  just saw the 06gfs that Scott referenced.  What a hoot.  Still doesn't detract from my rainiest winter ever suspicion.  That's still a lot of rain before the change-over.

Nah, winter of 1936-37 sucked.

13.42" precip, 2.7" snow at BOS. Over 8" in December alone, bad luck there. :ph34r:

• Like 1