Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Eventually reality sets in. I’m still hoping we go on a stretch, but I’ve been hoping that for awhile. After awhile it gets old continuously being fooled.

If we don't produce in the next 3 weeks then i will concede, But i think we will score some, Climo does suggest it, And i'm not talking just here.

Lawn grasses didn't survive for millions of years without human invention.  They were created by humans to serve a particular, questionable, decorative purpose, and require a significant amount of intervention as we all know.  The varietals of native grasses that have survived without human invention, most people would find repugnant in their lawn.  They would be better in almost all respects though, for the environment, for wildlife.  They just wouldn't match a certain conformist standard that has set in across wide parts of western suburbia.

The idea that leaves are going to kill a lawn though, isn't crazy... they absolutely can smother a lawn if deep enough and hard frozen enough, that's how fragile and stupid a well-knit lawn is.  They are great over beds though, or in the worst case just run over them with a lawnmower and mulch them in situ. Ideally, chuck them in your compost, and watch them be gone in a week.  Stupidest thing you could do is put them in a bag, send them to a landfill, where they will compost them, sell them, and then you have to buy fertilizer for your lawn anyway.

Lawn talk spells a dead threat, as does the fact that even with my confirmation bias I can only get like 1 model run in 20 to support my hope for snow. I'll keep watching though, if I can't watch actual snow, I may as well watch models.  It's not much longer to go anyway, before there's little to no chance here due to climo alone.  Another 30 days.  When you can write off the best 10 of them, it doesn't bode well.   All the while I show my toddler the crocuses coming up, and point to pictures of snow in books.  

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I've gotten so used to the snow-less landscape that I don't want any more snow.

43 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Fuk the lawn, I let the neighbors kids play rugby on it, Less maintenance, I also dethatched and aerated it with 108 picks on the sled so far with minimal pack this winter.

39 minutes ago, Tiktock said:

The leaves help fertilize my spring dandelion crop.

13 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

Lawn grasses didn't survive for millions of years without human invention.  They were created by humans to serve a particular, questionable, decorative purpose, and require a significant amount of intervention as we all know.  The varietals of native grasses that have survived without human invention, most people would find repugnant in their lawn.  They would be better in almost all respects though, for the environment, for wildlife.  They just wouldn't match a certain conformist standard that has set in across wide parts of western suburbia.

The idea that leaves are going to kill a lawn though, isn't crazy... they absolutely can smother a lawn if deep enough and hard frozen enough, that's how fragile and stupid a well-knit lawn is.  They are great over beds though, or in the worst case just run over them with a lawnmower and mulch them in situ. Ideally, chuck them in your compost, and watch them be gone in a week.  Stupidest thing you could do is put them in a bag, send them to a landfill, where they will compost them, sell them, and then you have to buy fertilizer for your lawn anyway.

Lawn talk spells a dead threat, as does the fact that even with my confirmation bias I can only get like 1 model run in 20 to support my hope for snow. I'll keep watching though, if I can't watch actual snow, I may as well watch models.  It's not much longer to go anyway, before there's little to no chance here due to climo alone.  Another 30 days.  When you can write off the best 10 of them, it doesn't bode well.   All the while I show my toddler the crocuses coming up, and point to pictures of snow in books.  

Jeff Foxworthy might say something like:

"When your February pattern discussion thread morphs into a lawn thread......you might be having a shitty winter."

I've lost count as to how many mud seasons I've had this winter.  My snow pack is decimated.  It's still 34* at 9:00p.m.  I probably will have lawn in the morning. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Jeff Foxworthy might say something like:

"When your February pattern discussion thread morphs into a lawn thread......you might be having a shitty winter."

I've lost count as to how many mud seasons I've had this winter.  My snow pack is decimated.  It's still 34* at 9:00p.m.  I probably will have lawn in the morning. 

Congrats?

48 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

February-United-States-Tornadoes-Average-1024x583.png

The Southern and northern Midwest are 2 different climates. I wouldn't say tornadoes are common in the Southern midwest in February, but they do happen.  The weather of the past week has been ridiculous. One week ago here it was -15゚ with wind chills -40, we then saw a complete decimation of the snowpack monday with temperatures into the mid 50s followed by an ice storm yesterday, and now a freak few hour rise in temperatures today from the upper 30s to mid 50s now plummeting into the teens. Boring it's not, but give me sustained Winter any day over this.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This current storm has spawned 5 tornadoes in the Midwest.  Winters of yore

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/01241967_tornadooutbreak

The late Jan 1967 outbreak was one of the largest in QCA history (including an F4). Of course it was also followed up by a foot of snow two days later. 

I would hit a redux in a heartbeat.