• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

I give it 50/50 chance of moving toward nothing...  

-----

Re the MJO "favorable" narrative...   WRONG!

The AO is prognosticated by every source to soar to +4 SD spanning some 2 ...2 and half weeks.  

The MJO late phase 7-8-1 are correlated to -AO 

Those two facets offset one another ...i.e, that is anti-correlated.  Which means ... the hemisphere is out of sync above the MJO's input/dispersion ... and that means the MJO's influence is thus more likely damping out.  I suspect the Euro's camp is closer to correct with that wave propagation in terms of overall amplitude - less the details of the weird inflections in the curve.    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

-----

The AO is prognosticated by every source to soar to +4 SD spanning some 2 ...2 and half weeks.  

Those two facets offset one another ...i.e, that is anti-correlated.  Which means ... the hemisphere is out of sync above the MJO's input/dispersion ... and that means the MJO's influence is thus more likely damping out.  I suspect the Euro's camp is closer to correct with that wave propagation in terms of overall amplitude - less the details of the weird inflections in the curve.    

Yea, I don't care what phase the MJO is in, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that ++++AO and RNA doesn't not have a chapter in the Kocin book.

Hope for mediocrity.

The guidance is flux struggling to reconcile the storm idea with the SE ridge (+AO/RNA), and the end result is likely to be manageable.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I don't care what phase the MJO is in, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that ++++AO and RNA doesn't not have a chapter in the Kocin book.

Hope for mediocrity.

And some how next week will find a way to snow in the Mid Atlantic leaving us with Monday's dustings and a few days of frigid air...only to repeat a few days later

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

-----

Interesting...Curious—can you explain that -AO relationship at all? To my mind based on the T anomaly relationship to phase 8, phase 8 tends to correspond with a -NAO; not a -AO. This would also better align with the forecasted teleconnections. 

As a separate matter entirely, I’m beginning to think of all the teleconnections a -AO could be the most overvalued for our region of snowlovers. The tendency often appears to send the best cold to our west—the Central Plains—particularly when it coincides with a less negative NAO/positive NAO. 

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Interesting...Curious—can you explain that -AO relationship at all? To my mind based on the T anomaly relationship to phase 8, phase 8 tends to correspond with a -NAO; not a -AO. This would also better align with the forecasted teleconnections. 

As a separate matter entirely, I’m beginning to think of all the teleconnections a -AO could be the most overvalued for our region of snowlovers. The tendency often appears to send the best cold to our west—the Central Plains—particularly when it coincides with a less negative NAO/positive NAO. 

Firstly keep in mind ... the AO and NAO overlap domain space.  One cannot logically disconnect them entirely ...wrt to phase correlations.  So, saying "...-NAO; not a -AO" can't be correct. 

Secondly, the correlation with the MJO to the hemisphere is a hemispheric scope and scale - like ...not trying to be a condescending douche, but the arctic oscillation domain space umbrellas the whole rampart above the 60th parallel... The MJO may in face effect in quadrature because it's a wave ... and therefore has an effective up-down coordinate with it... It also depends upon the AO orientation, too... It's never unilaterally influencing when in negataive(postiive) modes.  So, the true relationship between the MJO and AO is a fluid one in time...and is never 1::1 because of all these moving pieces... 

The totality of the MJO correlation with the AO is papered... I can't dig it up here but maybe later I'll find it..  

• Thanks 1

First look—Taking guidance consensus, with teleconnections and MJO (painting with a broad brush here, so bear with me) but how I envision early next week to play out is with most of the CONUS to be N/AN, with slightly BN over the northeast. More troughing in the west, but UL flow largely zonal. Overlay this disturbance and my guess is this one can work out well for most. Chances increase with latitude  ...Confidence low...

That said, *if* we consistently see more low level cold in the Northern/Central plains we are easily torched...As I said before though, I don’t think this is the case...Doesn’t fit the big picture imo...

Wait and see...still a ways to go....