Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

5 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Interesting to see how the offices are reading the models. NWS Buffalo AFD is going with the further north version and bringing in rain chances for a lot of their area, but keeping those closest to the border and lake ontario snowier. 

From NWS Northern Indiana earlier.

Capture.JPG

NWS Chicago still not moving wagons North just yet but keeping an eye on things...

"Some of the American 12z operational model runs have tried to shift the track of the clipper a bit farther north, namely across far southern WI on Monday. This certainly adds some uncertainty to the forecast of snow amounts to the area, as such a track could keep the heaviest snow into Southern WI. However, the ensembles do not necessarily support such a slow and northward track of this low. For example the 12Z GEFS mean favors a track farther south and a slightly faster than the 12z operational run of the GFS. This farther south solution also continues to be favored by the 12z ECMWF and its ensemble. Overall, this is a very complex pattern in which this clipper will be evolving in, and as such the individual model runs are likely to continue to waver a bit in the track of the system into the weekend. While the farther north track seen in the GFS and NAM do add some uncertainty, we have opted to not change forecast snow amounts much at this time. As such, at this time, we continue to favor the heaviest snow along and north of I-80. However, this will have to be fined tuned in the coming days."

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

NWS Chicago still not moving wagons North just yet but keeping an eye on things...

"Some of the American 12z operational model runs have tried to shift the track of the clipper a bit farther north, namely across far southern WI on Monday. This certainly adds some uncertainty to the forecast of snow amounts to the area, as such a track could keep the heaviest snow into Southern WI. However, the ensembles do not necessarily support such a slow and northward track of this low. For example the 12Z GEFS mean favors a track farther south and a slightly faster than the 12z operational run of the GFS. This farther south solution also continues to be favored by the 12z ECMWF and its ensemble. Overall, this is a very complex pattern in which this clipper will be evolving in, and as such the individual model runs are likely to continue to waver a bit in the track of the system into the weekend. While the farther north track seen in the GFS and NAM do add some uncertainty, we have opted to not change forecast snow amounts much at this time. As such, at this time, we continue to favor the heaviest snow along and north of I-80. However, this will have to be fined tuned in the coming days."

When is it ever NOT a complex situation :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While the GFS has been too far north on the previous few systems. I just don't see a way where we don't get rain from this system as IC is further south than the current farthest south deterministic models. Strong WAA, retreating high pressure, strong low tracking north of us. Stars are aligning for a warm system down here. Unless the baroclinic zone jumps south over 100 miles, which I don't see happening, our chances aren't good. Much of MN and WI serve to do well from this system.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

3rd and long. Euro a south outlier, but I suppose that if we need one for our team, it’s a good one. 

I just chuckle. A system 48 hrs ago had a substantial shift within 18 hrs, and yet everyone still jumps on every model run as if it's the correct solution.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1