Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Don’t exactly need a “major” change to bring 88 north back into the game.

That being said, not holding my breath for much more than an advisory nusciance event here. 

I'm just hoping. It just doesn't seem that a storm would plow into the cold part of a baroclinic zone. You said it best, not really holding my breath. 

10 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Don’t exactly need a “major” change to bring 88 north back into the game.

That being said, not holding my breath for much more than an advisory nusciance event here. 

Really?  I think you are in decent for 4-6 wouldn't be surprised if when they issue the wwa they will include you in the warning

8 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Really?  I think you are in decent for 4-6 wouldn't be surprised if when they issue the wwa they will include you in the warning

Yup. I think many of the Chicago folks are only interested in 10" or greater events these days. Perhaps they should remember December...:lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Baum said:

Yup. I think many of the Chicago folks are only interested in 10" or greater events these days. Perhaps they should remember December THEIR CLIMO...:lol:

FYP lol.

Boy it took only a few good weeks to get the Chicago crowd cocky :lol:. My brother moved back in Fall (he doesnt like snow) and since he moved to Chicago 5 years prior, we almost always had more snow than him. He joked that maybe he will bring his luck of less snow home with him. Sure enough, to date ORD is at 24.5" and DTW 13.7". In the previous 8 winters, Detroit beat Chicago 7 of 8 times, and the only time they didnt was by 3". I mean, winter is only half over but if it does happen this year and again next year, Im telling him he must move back :lol:

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The UK is still pretty robust with the front-end thump over eastern Iowa.

us_model-en-087-0_modgbr_2019012612_66_5660_220.thumb.png.d50edceed5891139d03f105c3c202c51.png

I’ve come to learn I purchased the wrong kind of car for Iowa. Low profile tires and rear wheel drive. I have to drive to work Sunday evening and this shows enough snow to even cause trouble for me in DSM. And, I could easily see this system shifting south last minute. I love a good snowstorm but we already have a 7 inch snowpack and it’s not melting. I just don’t want to get stuck. 

I remember a storm in 2003 where there were severe thunderstorm warnings issued in central IL for a line of thunderstorms/heavy snow associated with a strong cold front. Is there any possibility of that kind of event with a setup like this for those south of the low? This storm system looks to take a similar path to the 2003 storm, and the forecast models are picking up on a line of precip associated with the cold front.

line.thumb.png.05289629a23ea2082db724598b0cbbed.png

I would love to see something like that again. We had a short burst of whiteout conditions with tons of lightning, and the wind blew the snow in my yard into snow rollers. Some info on the 2003 storm can be found here: https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2008WAF2007103.1

Milder Pacific air is not making any sort of robust push away from the chinook zone, so the most logical track for this developing low (currently near BC-Yukon border at 1007 mb) would be across s.w. SK into w ND, n.e. SD, then something like Dubuque to Joliet to Jackson MI into sw ON. I think it's more likely to track south of Chicago than north anyway. Intense lake enhancement in E-SE winds for much of Wisconsin, perhaps a burst of NE winds before backing to NW. Would hold with earlier idea of 5-10" snow along and north of track, but 10-20" locally in WI and eastern lower MI from lake enhancement. Temp gradient will remain very tight as the warm advection will increase after the low passes ND, would guess 24 F for max at ORD and about 17 F for MKE (would be a lot lower but surface flow will pick up warmth from Lake Michigan). Temps will stay 10-15 or lower throughout snowfall away from warming off-lake, winds may gust over 45 mph in the E-SE flow, so very likely blizzard conditions in parts of southern and eastern WI, and perhaps around Alpena to Bay City MI also. 

• Like 1