SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

8 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

12z GGEM5c25a1c6f702733f0618dc131492c004.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

With things as is, models have trended N and is that northward model movement pretty much as far as it will go? Just curious in the probabilities of this thing jumping 100 miles north (for example). 

My non meteorologist inclination is that in this environment (cold air in place, snow pack in IL and IA, etc) that there are better chances of this thing riding the temp gradient south than pushing more north where it is already cold?

Model above is a nice hit for pretty much all of WI and MI. Damn that cutoff in N IL...

Just now, mimillman said:

I’d definitely say even if it ticks south from here, the GFS schooled them all. Was the only model with a northern solution for some time

I agree completely. It only came south that one run. Not sure if we will see any south shifts. If any I think they will be slight at this point. 0z runs tonight should have a full sampling 

With things as is, models have trended N and is that northward model movement pretty much as far as it will go? Just curious in the probabilities of this thing jumping 100 miles north (for example). 
My non meteorologist inclination is that in this environment (cold air in place, snow pack in IL and IA, etc) that there are better chances of this thing riding the temp gradient south than pushing more north where it is already cold?
Model above is a nice hit for pretty much all of WI and MI. Damn that cutoff in N IL...
It's all about longitude it comes in at before it starts to track due east. I have my doubts it comes in notably farther north than GFS/NAM, though obviously can't fully rule it out. If it comes in farther west and makes it farther south before east turn, will help northern IL. As it is, GEM did shift back south and shows a solid event I-88 and north, with warning criteria northern tier, not too far off from last few runs of Euro.

This is just a tough setup to model correctly and hinges upon the evolution described above. The models really aren't that far off at this point, kind of like hurricane track forecast errors a few days out, but the small differences matter for us.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Baum said:

while we are focused here I see LOT has bumped up todays amounts a bit. Mentions 1-3". Love these events in cold air regimes ....

Yeah..I actually think this could play a big role in the Sunday/Monday system. Stronger system could pull the next one down further?  

That might include today's snow, but not sure.  Maybe RC can chime in.
I think it includes today's event. Best way to compare is to check the map at weather.gov/lot/winter. We've been focusing on the Sunday night-Monday event in the storm total map there.