Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

2 hours ago, snowcaine said:

Nice lake effect streamer just south of the GTA. Should drift north as winds veer from NE to E at the surface. At least we know the ingredients are there for lake effect.

1690424061_Capturedecranle2019-01-28a10_19_29.png.2efcc532ee65091487248c272bc07088.png

We're rocking in the west end now. 3/4 SM visibility stuff. Nice sized flakes (as would be expected with LES). I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised by this event.

• Like 1

I picked up about 2.7".  The liquid total is  0.28 (gauge catch) and 0.35 (core sample).  That's about what I was expecting.  The wind, as usual, killed the ratio, and the snow band just didn't last long enough to pile up a bigger total.

The surface low passed through Iowa City, so we remained in the cold sector and maxed out at 20F.  It's nice to get a cold, dry refresher snow just before the extreme cold.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

We're rocking in the west end now. 3/4 SM visibility stuff. Nice sized flakes (as would be expected with LES). I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised by this event.

YYZ reporting visibility <0.5mi at the 1PM update. Nice look on radar with convergence/upslope flow. 

Pretty impressive flake size here in Royal Oak. Looks like we may be 10 miles from a nice 6"+ storm. Right on the edge. Downtown Detroit is lined up for ~3.5" where as the northern burbs may end up with 8". Its a tough storm to be on the southern extent considering how broad the swath of meaningful snow is north of here. 

• Like 1

The speed of this system was definitely underestimated on models. Then the smaller flake size likely due to strong winds shredding the flakes didn't allow for rapid accumulation. Happy I got snow though! Arctic front on my doorstep 

The low snow ratios didn’t have to do with the wind. The flakes I was getting were not shattered, but more like pellets or grains a majority of the time.

16 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Weak sauce.

Radar is too broken up. I don't think we'll even see 3 inches total... I don't see warning criteria snow anywhere in Michigan outside of lake enhanced communities.

Yea going to bust pretty bad here too with the synoptic portion, just not enough moisture to work with, have better odds with LES after this system. Might get to 5-6" for my area. 

1 minute ago, josh_4184 said:

Yea going to bust pretty bad here too with the synoptic portion, just not enough moisture to work with, have better odds with LES after this system. Might get to 5-6" for my area. 

Probably heading up to Kalkaska on Wednesday... Looks like that area on Mancelona have quite a bit already.

Pouring snow right now flake size very respectable as well. There could be some lake enhancement from the east wind of Huron ongoing but regardless so far piling up pretty good. No idea of an accurate measument with the wind but I would say around 5 inches. If the low moves south of my local and we stay in the pivot I could see making a run at 10. 

• Like 1