• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

Think we could easily get 10" in Madison, maybe even more than a foot with the way things are trending.  Looks like the jackpot will be just north of the area.  Snow will just be pouring down here between midnight and 6 am.

When was the last time we saw double digits from a single event? Might have been GHD I, although I was living in Milwaukee for that one. Even during the vaunted 2013-14, that was more like a 6" or less event every few days without a real big thumper that stands out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

When was the last time we saw double digits from a single event? Might have been GHD I, although I was living in Milwaukee for that one. Even during the vaunted 2013-14, that was more like a 6" or less event every few days without a real big thumper that stands out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2012.  Madison got about 14".  I think that's the most recent double digit snowfall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

As far as why the northeast turn... you have the system in southeast Canada pulling away and our wave starts to take on a more neutral tilt.  Maybe something else but that is what I saw at a glance.

I believe it's exactly that.

The Hudson PV lobe departs, as the new PV lode slides south out of Canada on the heels of this system, kicking it NE.

24 minutes ago, Sciascia said:

9z Monday (3am, I think).

Thanks, timing of this event keeps getting pushed back it looks like.  The start of the heavy snow around 2 or 3am, and many models show it pushing out by around rush hour, yet projections showing around a foot on a lot of models.  Not sure I buy into that unless lake effect/enhancement adds to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

As far as why the northeast turn... you have the system in southeast Canada pulling away and our wave starts to take on a more neutral tilt.  Maybe something else but that is what I saw at a glance.

You also have a high pressure between them. I would think that high would delay any NE turn?  IDK though. 

S+ reported at Fargo ND with southeast winds gusting to 30 mph. Temp 1 F. 

Minot is 40 deg F with a west wind, low center appears to be crossing border now near southeast corner of SK. 

Looks to be dropping south faster than gaining east, until passing Watertown SD, then curves past MLI towards a point 50 miles south of RFD then east-north-east to JXN. If it can maintain this very tight temperature gradient into the heavy snow production zone, a raging blizzard will develop in northeast IA, southern MN into n IL and most of WI. I do see a weakening trend overall past Lake Michigan but still some potent lake enhanced totals in parts of southern MI. This curved track exposes Chicago to NNE winds for a time which may up your totals. Thinking about 8" RFD, 10" ORD, 15" MSN to MKE with 20" local maxima, trending to 12" GRB. Cold fronts have been active through Alberta and SK with reports of wind gusts to 55 mph in Alberta last night. It may maintain some of those dynamics although wind gusts near Rockies can be downslope pass drainage effects in some cases, but I saw some strong gusts as far east as Swift Current SK last night too, that's well away from any topography. This would apply to regions south of main snowfall band and track of low, but even there I feel that 1-2" quite possible in bursts of heavy snow. Warm advection will be weak once the chinook signature is extinguished. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Moosey2323 said:

Seeing this GFS makes me wonder if most of Michigan and maybe some more Illinois counties deserve warnings...

it's one model. big difference here is didn't head NE. And if it's slower that could help amounts i suspect.

3 minutes ago, Baum said:

it's one model. big difference here is didn't head NE. And if it's slower that could help amounts i suspect.

Agree. Low center is right over Chicago instead of Waukegan. Makes a huge difference. Verbatim, 18z GFS shows about 0.6” of liquid at ORD, and around 0.7” at the WI/IL border. Assuming 13:1 ratios, would imply 8-10” in these areas.