Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

4 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Shame this is going to be an overnight event, should see some excellent rates with things really rocking and rolling for a good portion of the night.

Timing seems awful for commute/school start. Only saving grace is it will be overnight while many cars off road but with heavy rates and blowing not sure that will make any difference.

Just now, ChiTownSnow said:

I still don't buy the turn NE between hours 30 and 36. Think it continues to slide south?

I was just going to say, looks like models are starting to take it further south but then hook the low northeast around this time frame. Something to watch.

Either way, good trends late in the game. Milwaukee looks to get slammed

Quite the challenge along the southern edge based on the latest guidance.  The GFS and RGEM have 0.4-0.5" of precip for the QCA, while the HRRR/RAP/3km NAM have considerably less precip.  You would think leaning on those higher-res models would be the way to go at this point, but the shift south with the heavier precip on the other models is noteworthy.  From a forecast standpoint the best bet is to just go with a wide range of totals, which is a bit frustrating lol.  

• Like 1

Quite the challenge along the southern edge based on the latest guidance.  The GFS and RGEM have 0.4-0.5" of precip for the QCA, while the HRRR/RAP/3km NAM have considerably less precip.  You would think leaning on those higher-res models would be the way to go at this point, but the shift south with the heavier precip on the other models is noteworthy.  From a forecast standpoint the best bet is to just go with a wide range of totals, which is a bit frustrating lol.  

Congrats on reeling in...

a67d4ff3fd2d84e15d7402f8bb980bb2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I was just going to say, looks like models are starting to take it further south but then hook the low northeast around this time frame. Something to watch.

Either way, good trends late in the game. Milwaukee looks to get slammed

I actually think the whole axis of heavy snow may pivot a bit more NW to SE instead of W/E.  This may limit the overall snow totals north slightly, but increase totals over Chicago. 

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Can I borrow whatever black magic stuff you got going on there? To be honest I would expect continuing trends up through the event start time, similar to the last couple events. You seem like you could probably pull a 4" event out of a 1040mb high this winter so I like your odds here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

I actually think the whole axis of heavy snow may pivot a bit more NW to SE instead of W/E.  This may limit the overall snow totals north slightly, but increase totals over Chicago. 

Are there any models that move the low south of due east once it gets to Eastern Iowa?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I would love to see the 0.50" GFS/GEM veryify.  However, the meso models show this being only a 6-hr event here before the dry slot shoots in from the west.  It would have to snow hard for the entire event to pile up the totals being spit out by the GFS/GEM.  I think 0.20-0.30" is more realistic.

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The HRRR continues to be much less of a deal for Cedar Rapids/Iowa City.  It still has the low much farther north and only has a 4-hr band of snow moving through here... 0.20" vs 0.50" (hrrr/gfs).

I wouldn't worry about the RAP or HRRR, as they're severely lagging. Each run they have been making a decent correction west/south.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The HRRR continues to be much less of a deal for Cedar Rapids/Iowa City.  It still has the low much farther north and only has a 4-hr band of snow moving through here... 0.20" vs 0.50" (hrrr/gfs).  Heck, the HRRR only drops 0.10" on Iowa City, almost a non-event.

It's definitely a red flag.  Interesting to see many models trending quite quickly in the wetter/south direction while the HRRR/RAP are very stingy.  The RAP/HRRR struggled with the last few events beyond the 12hr mark.  We'll have to keep watching to see if it has to play catch-up, or if it is on to something.  It's gonna have to start trending wetter/south before too much longer or I'm afraid it may actually be on the right track with this.  I'll stick with my 3-5" for this area for now.

Last night's Euro showed fairly similar amounts along the southern edge, so will be interested to see the new 12z.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I wouldn't worry about the RAP or HRRR, as they're severely lagging. Each run they have been making a decent correction west/south.

The RAP and HRRR don't even have data coverage in much of Canada, so yeah, would not be too concerned about them yet.  System is getting closer to the US and they should keep correcting.

• Thanks 2