joxey
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

Just now, ChiTownSnow said:

Unfortunately, it won't be that cold

yes it will

my local forecast for sunday and sunday night

Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -14. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Snow, mainly after 9pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy blowing snow after midnight. Low around 11. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

10 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Whatever the track, this low will be interacting with two very cold air masses ahead and following it in. It may not have a very well-defined warm sector at all, and could become one of those circular blizzards of days past. There was a storm like this on Jan 30-31, 1971 if you want to see an analogue. Snowfalls of 4-8" along the track and 10-15" lake enhanced could be expected.

Green Bay might get 15-30 inches of snow out of this as a lake effect dynamic persists ahead of the low and behind it. The u.p. of Michigan will have life-threatening blizzard conditions with -15 air temps and -40 wind chills with S+ from still-unfrozen Lake Superior (we'll see how long that lasts next week). 

Would say 6-9" most likely for Chicago, 9-15" Milwaukee, 5-10" range in s MI and sw ON to 20" locally in lake effect squalls. 

Was commenting in the temp thread that the following air mass is record cold already up in the central arctic, -56 F at Shepherd Bay, NU. 

Roger, what are you thinking for Toronto? 4-6"?

38 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

yes it will

my local forecast for sunday and sunday night

Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -14. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Snow, mainly after 9pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy blowing snow after midnight. Low around 11. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

I know that's the forecast, but I don't see that happening with the SLP track further north.  we're looking at precipitation type issues fairly close to us.

1 minute ago, ChiTownSnow said:

I know that's the forecast, but I don't see that happening with the SLP track further north.  we're looking at precipitation type issues fairly close to us.

you could conceivably hit 30 or so in the warm sector and be back to 15 degrees within an hour after the low passes to your north and east with strong winds. It's a different type of clipper...but it's still a clipper.  

4 minutes ago, Baum said:

you could conceivably hit 30 or so in the warm sector and be back to 15 degrees within an hour after the low passes to your north and east with strong winds. It's a different type of clipper...but it's still a clipper.  

True.. but most of our accumulating snow is in the warm sector.

18 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Roger, what are you thinking for Toronto? 4-6"?

With a track north of us, we'll be lucky to get half that.

The northern models are quickly diving the PV southward and phasing, causing the slp to curl northward.  EURO/UKIE are slower with that feature, and thus more favourable to us (although they've been inching north too).

I'd say 3-4" for us right now, and hope to god it doesn't trend any further north.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

True.. but most of our accumulating snow is in the warm sector.

I would not be surprised to see the precip/snow wrap all the way back around the low center. To me, despite it's northerly track it still will have the ability to put some snow down fairly far south of the main storm on the arctic front. Seen this before. Quick 2-4" hit with strong winds,blowing snow, and rapidly falling temps. I'm certainly not a met., but do rely on my memory and history of prior events when I see certain set ups.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baum said:

I would not be surprised to see the precip/snow wrap all the way back around the low center. To me, despite it's northerly track it still will have the ability to put some snow down fairly far south of the main storm on the arctic front. Seen this before. Quick 2-4" hit with strong winds,blowing snow, and rapidly falling temps. I'm certainly not a met., but do rely on my memory and history of prior events when I see certain set ups.

and the 3km Nam tries to do just that after getting dry sloted at hr 51 it the backside fills in with snow from hr 54-60

1 minute ago, ILSNOW said:

And another thing to consider while we have the NAM and the GFS with the low into Southern Wisc we have the Euro (granted alone) into northern IL. who do we trust at this range?

Probably not the Euro with clippers; if this was a Panhandle Hook I might think differently.  I personally wouldn't mind the Euro to win this one, but I think it's unlikely.

• Haha 1

It may not be much of a consolation, but FWIW, even with the northern track progged, it still looks be to cold enough for the precip to be all snow for you guys ahead of the front.

It could be a decent thumping too (quick 3-5"), as the models are showing some decent mid-level lapse rates.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, whoosh said:

and a short while later, as that northern polar piece bears down (tricky timing)
the 700mb temp/wind panel:

image.png.0c998941a830be88064a93c485e28f5d.png
still working the turn.

Is it one of these deals where the faster the clipper is, the less likely a quicker/sharper turn east? Do the laws of physics work that way here :)

7 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Is it one of these deals where the faster the clipper is, the less likely a quicker/sharper turn east? Do the laws of physics work that way here

I am illiterate in the mathematics of fluid dynamics, but don't confuse the 500mb shortwave with the lower level clipper.

• Like 1