Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Massive Sou'easter could bring damaging winds to Eastern MA

USCAPEWEATHERAF

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

1.56" at PWM and lost a lot of the stuff in my basement. 

Not sure yet, but I may have lost the snowstorm bible (signed by Kocin and Uccellini) as well as my thesis. A lot of my meteorology textbooks are a mess, but luckily my notes were in plastic tubs.

Geezuz how deep was the water sucks man. Glad you will finally get your back pay. Do they give you one check and slam you with taxes? My job did that to me with my lousy 2 weeks of severance after 25 years of service,  nice folks. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Geezuz how deep was the water sucks man. Glad you will finally get your back pay. Do they give you one check and slam you with taxes? My job did that to me with my lousy 2 weeks of severance after 25 years of service,  nice folks. 

Bingo.

It got about 2 inches deep. Our sewerage is in the back of the house, but the sewer off the front side obviously, so they city had my builder put a clean out opening on the front side of the house. He came over and broke that valve off to let water drain into the sewer pipe to save us from feet of water. 

Apparently there was so much pressure around the foundation out perimeter drain backflow valve failed and was letting water back in from the floor drain too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

About 15 years ago I got a sizable back-pay check due to a delay on an increased pay range for my position, and it was taxed as if that was my average weekly pay instead of being 4-5 times the usual - right at the top bracket.  :axe:

Well at least my job allows me easy access to the data to prove my case that their drainage beautification project screwed our house.

PWM had 1.56" rain from the event. There were 6 similar (1.5" or larger) rain events since that project was completed, and one before it. The largest (2.4") was before the project (no water issues). There were also no water issues with the events after the project. BUT of those events only one other had significant snow on the ground (11/27). That event was 1.78" rain (less than an inch of that snow) and snow depth only decreased 1" from 4 to 3. This event we went from 5" to 2" at PWM. NORHSC estimates are between 0.4" and 2" SWE lost (not super helpful), but if we take the middle of that range it was 2.76" liquid, and a possible range of 1.96" to 3.56" liquid. So likely the largest runoff event at the house yet.

Never mind that it is in their deed to keep the drain pipe free of obstructions.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Bingo.

It got about 2 inches deep. Our sewerage is in the back of the house, but the sewer off the front side obviously, so they city had my builder put a clean out opening on the front side of the house. He came over and broke that valve off to let water drain into the sewer pipe to save us from feet of water. 

Apparently there was so much pressure around the foundation out perimeter drain backflow valve failed and was letting water back in from the floor drain too. 

Shit

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Well at least my job allows me easy access to the data to prove my case that their drainage beautification project screwed our house.

PWM had 1.56" rain from the event. There were 6 similar (1.5" or larger) rain events since that project was completed, and one before it. The largest (2.4") was before the project (no water issues). There were also no water issues with the events after the project. BUT of those events only one other had significant snow on the ground (11/27). That event was 1.78" rain (less than an inch of that snow) and snow depth only decreased 1" from 4 to 3. This event we went from 5" to 2" at PWM. NORHSC estimates are between 0.4" and 2" SWE lost (not super helpful), but if we take the middle of that range it was 2.76" liquid, and a possible range of 1.96" to 3.56" liquid. So likely the largest runoff event at the house yet.

Never mind that it is in their deed to keep the drain pipe free of obstructions.

Not to mention one of the rainiest years on record so the water table is mega high, not to mention the frost layer might have been preventing any drainage at all

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not to mention one of the rainiest years on record so the water table is mega high, not to mention the frost layer might have been preventing any drainage at all

I got civil engineers i consult with saying they have never seen it this high.

im not sure what Chris’s remedy is as many communities do not allow you to discharge stormwater into the local sewer system.  If he can do that I would have him install an exterior perimeter drain that can collect and discharge into that.

23 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

im not sure what Chris’s remedy is as many communities do not allow you to discharge stormwater into the local sewer system.  If he can do that I would have him install an exterior perimeter drain that can collect and discharge into that.

Yes a french drain would be a good idea an interior sump pump into the sewer is allowed in most locales.

37 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes a french drain would be a good idea an interior sump pump into the sewer is allowed in most locales.

We have a perimeter drain currently, that's what failed last night. And the sump pump is being installed this week sometime (battery back up) so hopefully we never have to do this again.

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We have a perimeter drain currently, that's what failed last night. And the sump pump is being installed this week sometime (battery back up) so hopefully we never have to do this again.

Good. My parents home basement flooded in 1983 and I lost everything I had saved from my childhood including all my 78 blizzard pictures.  I was upset for a while.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Is the perimeter drain tied into a drywell currently or is it daylighted somewhere?  I could see a drain that does not have a drywell failing given how much water we’ve seen and the high water tables.  There is just no where for surface runoff to go.  I’m surprised you didnt have a sump already installed given your proximity to the adjacent wetlands.

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Is the perimeter drain tied into a drywell currently or is it daylighted somewhere?  I could see a drain that does not have a drywell failing given how much water we’ve seen and the high water tables.  There is just no where for surface runoff to go.  I’m surprised you didnt have a sump already installed given your proximity to the adjacent wetlands.

It daylights right towards the neighbors' new drainage inlet. 

We have wetlands, but they have never been stagnant. The water is always flowing downhill. That stopped last night. I really wish I had been home to see where the water was coming in, because I'm not sure my wife gave me the most accurate description. She would have me thinking the water was pouring in over the top of the foundation, but that would mean the whole house was surrounded by standing water. And that was not the case.

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

1.56" at PWM and lost a lot of the stuff in my basement. 

Not sure yet, but I may have lost the snowstorm bible (signed by Kocin and Uccellini) as well as my thesis. A lot of my meteorology textbooks are a mess, but luckily my notes were in plastic tubs.

I have the KU books signed by Dr. U.   I can let you have it if you like.  Flooding sucks

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I can definitely tell by the swampy land near my house.  Standing water at the highest I’ve seen it in 20+ years