Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late January-Early February Clipper Train

Hoosier

3 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I just noticed those 12zs. I'm still going with an overperforming, fluff factored 3.2" here.

Yeah if this follows the last couple and does a bit better than modeled, I could see it being more like 2-4" here. But 1-3/2-4, pretty much the same thing. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

I just noticed those 12zs. I'm still going with an overperforming, fluff factored 3.2" here.

Hey if it measures it measures lol!  Wherever this thing sets up its main band of snow it's going to freakin snow.  Think will definitely see 1in/hr.  for a time if not more if the meso models ain't lying (does anybody else have trouble with spelling that word? lol).  Most of them drop the bulk in 3 hours. I'm still going 5-6 with my guess on 25-30 -1 ratios.  Looks like a decent "dry line" setting up just south of US 30/North of US 28 on the 12Z HRRR.  Won't take but a tick more moisture slamming into that to add an inch or 2 considering the temps.  Either/or I'm going to be playing in it this evening as we may go back to the usual screaming 850's or suppression scenario that's been commonplace the last 4 or 5 years.  Still a decent winter so far, consistent snowpack would make it a lot better.:weenie:

• Like 1

The ECMWF continues to be north of all guidance for this last clipper today. Looking at radar it looks like that further north track is the way to go, with all other guidance being a bit too far south. Additionally, the ECMWF is the driest of all guidance, so that is something to watch as well.

Looks like a 1-4" event area wide of the LOT CWA. 

9 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

20Z HRRR looking like a classic SR28 LAF/Tipton/MIE special in central IN.  Clippers like this can surprise us around here.  Temps are outrunning dews though.  This quite possibly could be my last chance at snow for a few weeks unless the 12Z FV3 candy land verifies.

I am ready.... .5 miles off SR 28 lol.... I do think end of next week has potential also

23 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

20Z HRRR looking like a classic SR28 LAF/Tipton/MIE special in central IN.  Clippers like this can surprise us around here.  Temps are outrunning dews though.  This quite possibly could be my last chance at snow for a few weeks unless the 12Z FV3 candy land verifies.

Started snowing here as soon as returns moved overhead at -2/-14. Forcing is relatively good with this one. Enjoy! :snowman:

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Real nice snow globe action out there atm.  Flake size has been pretty nice for the most part since the event began back around noon.  This may be the longest duration I've seen snow fall at with temps below zero.  Still -4 out there as the snow continues to rip.  Wow, what a day.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Real nice snow globe action out there atm.  Flake size has been pretty nice for the most part since the event began back around noon.  This may be the longest duration I've seen snow fall at with temps below zero.  Still -4 out there as the snow continues to rip.  Wow, what a day.

This is pretty damn cool. Can't remember seeing this legit of snow with these kind of temps. Viva la winter. :D

2 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

This is pretty damn cool. Can't remember seeing this legit of snow with these kind of temps. Viva la winter. :D

Yeah it's been a nice little event.  Pure fluff that you can clear off with a leaf blower.  Stuff has to be at least 20:1 ratio.  

Finished with 4.4" here, which was a few inches more than I expected.  Now 19" on the ground, which is the most I've seen in any place I've lived.  

Pretty cool that MLI got over 4" of snow on the same day they set the new all time record low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah it's been a nice little event.  Pure fluff that you can clear off with a leaf blower.  Stuff has to be at least 20:1 ratio.  

Finished with 4.4" here, which was a few inches more than I expected.  Now 19" on the ground, which is the most I've seen in any place I've lived.  

Pretty cool that MLI got over 4" of snow on the same day they set the new all time record low.

You have been the king of this winter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Also believe MLI set the snowiest January on record of over 30.2"!!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Also believe MLI set the snowiest January on record of over 30.2"!!!

Yeah, and they weren't too far from the snowiest month, which was Dec 2000 @ around 32" IIRC.  Pretty impressive considering it didn't snow until around Jan 12th.

Finished Jan with 27.7" here.  Definitely an improvement over the 0.3" from December lol.  :snowing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah, and they weren't too far from the snowiest month, which was Dec 2000 @ around 32" IIRC.

Finished Jan with 27.7" here.  Definitely an improvement in the 0.3" from December lol.  :snowing:

Yea, I'll say! It's hard to believe I was low-key panicking in late December! :facepalm: :lmao:

Unfortunately, my internet was out for two days so I could barely follow this latest clipper.   However...

This was my favorite storm of the season.  Cedar Rapids went from an all-time record -30F to moderate to heavy snow in less than three hours, which is pretty nuts.  The entire event occurred when the temp was -10F to -5F.  I experienced a couple bands of moderate to heavy snow with large dendrites pouring down.  My storm total was 3.1".  The core sample melted down to 0.14", which makes the ratio 22 to 1.  As is often the case with weaker/sneakier clippers, the wind was light throughout.  It was just a beautiful several-hour snowfall during daylight.  I even got to experience an hour of moderate to heavy snow while outside shoveling late afternoon.

• Like 2