Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

46 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Just enjoy whatever snow you get, that's the point...especially in the Mid Atlantic where we've had two awful winters in a row (single digit snow totals for me).  Regarding T/W, nothing can be ruled out for now with such a complicated setup...anything from 0" to 5".  Just keep following along.  Of course people want 5" or more but to write off threats that are less than that isn't going to make you very happy living here.   

I'm never said I write off ALL sub-5" threats....it all depends on the event. This one never seemed like much...feels like it would be a lot of emotional wrangling over a couple sloppy inches or something. I see now that it could be more interesting (or not if it busts). But I'm not gonna pay it too much attention until the forecast solidifies (not sure I wanna invest, lol) Besides, wouldn't most of this be falling after dark?

And again...I know how screwy this area can be with snow, trust me...I just have my own preferences. I love it when it snows...but I hesitate to invest in the mid-week threat. Feels too complicated! But...we shall see!

Just now, Scraff said:

Let’s be honest with ourselves. We should all have a pretty good feeling how things are going to workout this winter...

.....in about 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

If we get 2-4 inches followed by an arctic blast I will be completely satisfied with this winter.  I had 11.5 inches of snow in an overperforming event and 5.5 of those inches fell in a 5 hour span of excellent deformation.  If the rest of the season skunks us I won't care. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:
Looking beyond any snow event in these parts is a huge recipe for disappointment. You never know when the last snow of the season is going to happen. 

Sounds like we might have already had it

Are you ok?

25 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm never said I write off ALL sub-5" threats....it all depends on the event. This one never seemed like much...feels like it would be a lot of emotional wrangling over a couple sloppy inches or something. I see now that it could be more interesting (or not if it busts). But I'm not gonna pay it too much attention until the forecast solidifies (not sure I wanna invest, lol) Besides, wouldn't most of this be falling after dark?

And again...I know how screwy this area can be with snow, trust me...I just have my own preferences. I love it when it snows...but I hesitate to invest in the mid-week threat. Feels too complicated! But...we shall see!

"Now get the mid-week deal up to 5 inches or more and I'll watch, lol But otherwise, I wouldn't see it worth getting excited about even if it were the last flakes we saw"

#spoiled

:banned:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

"Now get the mid-week deal up to 5 inches or more and I'll watch, lol But otherwise, I wouldn't see it worth getting excited about even if it were the last flakes we saw"

#spoiled

:banned:

The heck are you talking about? I am not, sir. You've had less than I have, so I'd think you'd have an eye on something larger. Get outta here with that mess...you've been trolling me all winter.

Wanna see spoiled? Go up to the NE forum. See, down here, we have REASON to want bigger storms. And we can go 3-4, years in between. The longer we go, the more I'd like us to get one. I have no unrealistic expectations. How yall gonna take somebody over the coals for not being as impressed with a smaller storm?

Lower heights out front on the GFS, a little quicker frontal passage...should be a good run

Edit: Light rain to snow for a dusting to 2.  

I know now everyone wants big storms but this could be a fun event nonetheless.

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Apparently we're not allowed to want storms bigger than 2 inches

Look.  I’m not trying to tell anyone what they want, but don’t come into a thread complaining about storms and going on and on about it either.  We have 2 other threads to complain in.

• Like 4

Just now, LP08 said:

Look.  I’m not trying to tell anyone what they want, but don’t come into a thread complaining about storms and going on and on about it either.  We have 2 other threads to complain in.

I was challenged on why I wasn't impressed and I offered a response. Eventually I relented and said that this event could indeed be a little more interesting than I thought. But then somebody decided to troll me again--thereby keeping it going.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

The thing is, the longer it lingers there and the closer it gets to our region the more potential there is for energy to be left behind as it departs for Jan 30th system to key on. When all is said and done it may very well have a major impact on what we see with the system we are tracking. Then again maybe not. :D

That makes sense. I stand corrected then. I thought he was actually hoping the storm would get close enough this weekend to throw snow back our way.

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

They're talking about me--initally, I said I wasn't that impressed and was kinda looking past it because it didn't seem like much. But I relent a bit on that...interesting dynamics.

Always on edge bro. We need to sedate you before you’re allowed to post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Always on edge bro. We need to sedate you before you’re allowed to post.

Uncalled for...and no not "always". ONE time last month I was outta order...been nothing but mostly calm and questioning since late last month. I said I wasn't gonna do that again--this time I was provoked. I'm not gonna clutter this thread with this anymore--time to move on.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Not sure I see much excitement with this wave passage. Looks like all the rest to me. Looks great now. Not so much in 24-36 hours. The backside seems to be drying out quicker on the 18z gfs. Don’t see a trend on other guidance either that would make me think this is going to yield more than a dusting 

I agree with you to an extent. This one is a little different because all of the models are showing some energy get held back and pass through in time for us to change over. If one was gonna work out this is the way it would.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with you to an extent. This one is a little different because all of the models are showing some energy get held back and pass through in time for us to change over. If one was gonna work out this is the way it would.

We have a close pass with the tpv and an arctic front going neutral and then negative. I can't think of a single time in the last 13 years that we've had a progression like this. Maybe Feb 14th 2015 but I don't remember the front curling and bowing out like this one.

Might end up a total snoozefest. No way to know yet. I don't think you can compare this progression to all arctic fronts. It's a razor edge but has potenial to surprise. I'll wait until that's off the table before cancelling the event. I encourage anyone with a wxbell sub to scroll through every single ens surface plot. It's really eye opening how interesting this event might be.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah but Nov 15th wasn't that big (2-3 inches, perhaps), and the 9th was a total whiff except for the extreme southern parts of this subforum!

Not true.  12/9 storm brought 12 inches to me in Augusta County and I am not in the "extreme southern parts of this subforum".  1/12 was 5-6" here

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic