Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

Just now, stormtracker said:

GFS sw digging a little more...still won't get south of us..but flip between 0/6z and see how it's further south...along with the nrn stream energy over Maine

Entire height field is compressed/pushed further south. Going to be hard to get the shortwave underneath us but nothing is locked in yet. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Entire height field is compressed/pushed further south. Going to be hard to get the shortwave underneath us but nothing is locked in yet. 

Yeah, it aint going south of us, but kinda interesting I guess.   I mean, I'm not vested in this one, but I mean...what else is there to track

1 minute ago, Ji said:

the GFS lost whatever showmethesnow was hoping would happen

Was just pointing out what the 06Z GFS was showing. There was no hoping about it. Now if you want to talk about hoping, I am hoping that the NS energy dives underneath us and we get a KU. And while I am hoping I might as well hope to win the Mega Millions as well. Because the way this winter is going I would probably have better luck with hitting on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Well, that sucked

Yea, it's all northern stream and that usually drops our chances by itself. Can't forget that op models are terrible with the northern stream beyond d3-4. The shortwave we're focusing on is still out near the aleutians with 3 or so in front of it. Maybe there's another unexpected one after it. Hard to marry any one solution but we can all agree that it's going to be a challenge to get a really good track on this one. Light event at best imo but that's a guess. Nothing will surprise me. 

7 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Whatever happens with snow chances, its going to be brutally cold next week.  Good lord.

Wow to the cold, snow showers / snow squalls and deep winter period coming up next week. A run to zero lows for some areas a possibility with a little snow cover from the anafront.   

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@Ji

Why haven't you posted about the CMC yet? I think your reflexes are slowing down as you get old. 

i stopped looking at it. Its only right with cutters and rain. It hasnt been right for a snow event since PD feb 2003

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

If we're looking for a coastal/big storm I'm thinking somewhere between the feb 1-3 is a window. PV starts pulling north and the block is legit. 

GGEM gives us a good one on Feb 2-3..

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_39.png

The CMC super spectacular Super Bowl snowstorm. What could go wrong? :snowing:

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

The CMC super spectacular Super Bowl snowstorm. What could go wrong? :snowing:

ive seen so many modeled super bowl storms in the past 20 years. So far....ive managed to go to every superbowl party that weekend--or guests have come to ours with no issue

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Was just pointing out what the 06Z GFS was showing. There was no hoping about it. Now if you want to talk about hoping, I am hoping that the NS energy dives underneath us and we get a KU. And while I am hoping I might as well hope to win the Mega Millions as well. Because the way this winter is going I would probably have better luck with hitting on that.

Nah, you had a good explanation on what the 06Z GFS was showing in the framework of that one model run.  Made sense, and was interesting because normally we don't look at things like 850/700 mb vorticity.  It was a very subtle setup, which I suppose could still happen or at least come and go in the models.  Even it is low probability.

As for winning the Mega Millions...I think you have an ulterior motive, wanting to win that in order to pay off Vegas debts, am I right?! :D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

ive seen so many modeled super bowl storms in the past 20 years. So far....ive managed to go to every superbowl party that weekend--or guests have come to ours with no issue

I guess you forgot about 2010, when it snowed two feet Feb 5-6 and the superbowl was on the 7th. Had to cancel my party that year. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic