Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Which is why you should take the discussion to the other thread..

it was my fault he was replying to my post earlier.  I made it here because it was about how the pattern is likely to continue to cause discreet events to degrade as they approach but in retrospect I should have just kept that in the pattern thread.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

ugh sorry... I don't know where to post some stuff.  In this case I made a post about why the pattern was causing the degradation of the specific storm threats being discussed in here but that then branched off into pattern talk in here.  Maybe I should have kept it in the other thread.  But there is so much cross over between the two.  I just think we need to split off threads for specific threats once they get close enough to warrant their own discussion.  Problem is we got this weird superstition that it kills storms so now we wait until something is within like 4 days even when we know people will start to talk about it and analyze a good looking threat way before that.   But I can adapt and work with whatever you decide to do...I think this was my fault.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

it was my fault he was replying to my post earlier.  I made it here because it was about how the pattern is likely to continue to cause discreet events to degrade as they approach but in retrospect I should have just kept that in the pattern thread.  

i have no idea what the correct answer is. just noticed you guys discussing things i didn't understand, and checked to make sure i wasn't in the LR thread (because seriously, i understand nothing about long range forecasting) :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Tangents are going to happen in these discussions. I am not being a stickler. I replied to Ji because he was whining about having 2 threads.

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

FWIW, I have liked having the two threads.

Same here. I bounce between the 2 threads anyway. I think the goal for this thread was to look more closely at specific threats in the next week or 2. I appreciate when people show the specific models and what they are indicating, whether cold, rain or frozen. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I suppose of guidance keeps teasing the idea of a trailing wave over and over and over eventually maybe one will work out.  

Thing is none have so far. The ICON had the same idea last week for this Thursday. And that is going to be a big fail. Not a great situation to be in when we are relying on perfect timing with a follow up wave to get snow. Just saying.

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I suppose of guidance keeps teasing the idea of a trailing wave over and over and over eventually maybe one will work out.  

we have just never tried the trailing wave in a colder patter yet so maybe.....

I keep thinking I'm clicking on the wrong model run for the GFS on TT.  If you click on Jan. 20 0z run for the 24th then click on every model run up until today for the same time the snow for us it shows is identical.  It's unremarkable how it hasn't moved on the model.   

39 minutes ago, Ji said:

yea it was a bad idea. Storm Noise and long range patterns go hand in hand.....it would make more sense to have a thread for the Jan 29-30 Storm potential(if there was one). Right now there is no storm to track so both threads are being used for the same thing

i posted my thoughts on this in banter.  there was nothing wrong with the long range thread.  if everyone utilizes the panic room and banter threads appropriately, then the actual weather threads would improve.  part of the fun is when the long range thread spawns its own storm threat.  some banter in all threads is probably fine, but meltdowns should go in the panic room and beer discussions should probably go in banter, etc.

the other option is to go back to the way it was, but maybe having a separate thread for very long range/teleconnections.

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Third wave in this progression *could* be the winner if baroclinic keeps moving s and e with each wave. But alas this is more than 5 days out and it's the gfs op so grain of salt with this. Verbatim tho you can see where this sort of setup/pattern could go.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

Was gonna say...perhaps this represents a bit if potential?...Like if the timing were better?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Third wave in this progression *could* be the winner if baroclinic keeps moving s and e with each wave. But alas this is more than 5 days out and it's the gfs op so grain of salt with this. Verbatim tho you can see where this sort of setup/pattern could go.

So are we rooting for the NSW to slow down a touch here to allow the SSW to amplify? 

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

yea IF that idea of multiple waves along the boundary is correct then it could work.  BUT...am I the only one that notices that as each "threat" window approaches the entire thermal boundary keeps trending northwest of us?  From range the 20th looked like a chance.  Then it was "Maybe the next one after that storm pulls in the cold".  Then it was maybe the storm early next week.  Now even if that came up it looks problematic for temps...and its the wave after the wave after that one?  I see a trend here.  I am not going to believe that the boundary will actually hold south of us until something changes.  Otherwise I think the obvious nature of this current -EPO pattern has shown itself.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I am not going to believe that the boundary will actually hold south of us until something changes.  Otherwise I think the obvious nature of this current -EPO pattern has shown itself.  

Wes brought up a good point about that earlier today, which I know you read,  but was right on target. If you read HM,  he states maybe a better chance after this next system tomorrow and Thursday.

Meanwhile HM points out things in the Plains have gotten more interesting, maybe he will get his Blizzard but as he states   Some blizzard warnings out and many advisories mentioning blowing snow in the Plains. Some of the LR signal is playing out, regardless of me screwing up what it meant.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree with everything you just said which is why I said I still have hope and I’m not saying it’s over. But “maybe guidance is wrong” isn’t exactly where you want to be and it’s a world away from where we were a week ago.   

For those of us who are just learning, how did we get to here, in terms of how the pattern as modeled going from epic to bleh.

Edit:Whoops this should be in the pattern thread.

33 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

Likewise the Fv3-GFS is very close with back to back snowstorms in that timeframe - it misses north on both occasions, but is enough to stay interested for now.

To my untrained amateur eye, it seems like what I can see of the 12z euro output echo the Fv3 regarding the threats early next week. I only have the TT slides but it looks like the low placement and thermal structure match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, high risk said:

While we focus on the medium range and an outside shot at a little snow as the rain ends Thursday, there appears to be a very subtle threat for tomorrow midday and afternoon.    While the bulk of the rain will fall Wednesday night when temps are plenty warm, the NAM and NAM nest both show the possibility of a few light showers around Wednesday, and temperatures are only slowly going to climb into the mid and upper 30s.    More relevant, the ground is insanely cold, so I could see a situation in which light rain is falling at 36 degrees, and the roads and sidewalks become icy due to the skin temps lagging far behind the air temps.    I called it a subtle threat, as temperatures will be rising,  and there probably won't be much precip around, but an icy surprise for some folks isn't out of the question.

EDIT:   the nam nest is somewhat on its own with temps staying very cold during the day tomorrow, but I wouldn't write it off

Appears the GGEM jumped on board to the idea at 12z...

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_5.png

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic