• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

I mentioned this before, but it seems to me like while the CMC is very snow happy, it is also a high recall snowstorm model. By that I mean if the CMC says no snow, then there is no snow. When there is snow, the CMC showed snow (and probably over did the totals). On the other hand, most of the time the CMC shows snow it doesn't pan out. So if the CMC is showing snow, that is a good start. I know the pattern is a bad when when it isn't showing anything. Hopefully we can get some other models showing the same storm.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I've seen better, but...?

Inside of that mean is pretty boring honestly. It's not totally absent from the member solutions but the vast majority don't really show much. Could just be group think that could change on a dime later this week but the 12z run is uninspiring. 

xHoYB5e.jpg

Euro is basically an unphased disconnected mess this run. Doesn't change the facts that the ingredients are there. I've never really liked this setup because it's too complicated and too much can go wrong. Doesn't mean I'm writing it off but it's never really had the feel on a storm that can impact our area with winter wx. 

7 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Euro digs into Mexico with the PV pressing down further south.  Maybe it’s going to try a cmc type solution.

To me then trough is too flat and the low doesnt eject out of the gulf soon enough and goes too far east. By the time it makes its move the best case scenario might be like last year’s bomb cyclone favoring the shore. 

Just now, Negnao said:

To me then trough is too flat and the low doesnt eject out of the gulf soon enough and goes too far east. By the time it makes its move the best case scenario might be like last year’s bomb cyclone favoring the shore. 

The kicker is quicker as well coming from the west.  Low comes off the SC coast but there really isn’t a path up the coast.

• Like 1

It's too slow. Even if the kicker wasn't there midlevel temps are going to be a problem with no stream phasing. Still has the ingredients for a big storm. Need things to come together a lot better than what we're seeing on today's runs. 
Yea on earlier runs the ns was way more east

It's too slow. Even if the kicker wasn't there midlevel temps are going to be a problem with no stream phasing. Still has the ingredients for a big storm. Need things to come together a lot better than what we're seeing on today's runs. 
Maybe out to sea is better..than a warm inland storm. Gives more room for following event which has colder potential

Just now, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Maybe out to sea is better..than a warm inland storm. Gives more room for following event which has colder potential

Overrunning on a boundary is far less complicated if it lines up right. We're going to get all kinds of weird looks at the coastal in the meantime. Until that is resolved, anything after it is much less resolved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

based on the last few storms I'd say our old saying of wanting the storm SE at this point is a good thing

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic