Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The snow squalls were pretty cool to watch when I lived there. Otherwise the winters there were below to well below average for snow. It’s when the bonanzas were underway for SNE and this area which screwed far inland areas in PA. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Line appears to be falling apart as it exited the Harrisburg area.

28 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Yeah looks pretty meh.

24 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

Its between radar sites folks...The beam is above the actual squall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Below is special statement issued by NWS Albany

..HIGH IMPACT SNOW SQUALLS THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING...

High impact snow squalls are expected to move across the region
this afternoon into early evening. The squalls will move through
the western Adirondacks, Mohawk and Schoharie Valleys and eastern
Catskills between Noon and 3 PM, the Hudson Valley including the
Capital District, and the Taconics between 2 and 4 PM, and all of
western New England between 4 and 6 PM.

These snow squalls will cause brief heavy snow and strong winds,
resulting in and near white-out conditions. While snow squalls
will last less than 30 minutes in duration, they will have a
significant impact on travel and affect the early part of the
evening commute. Dangerous travel conditions are expected. Snow
accumulations up to an inch will occur in a short amount of time.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

The road over the Gunks has an awesome view to the west after you crest the top. There are also two view spots on the Taconic with long views all the way back across the river to the high peaks of the Catskills that are great for something like what you want to do. 

As long as you are not actually driving on the Taconic when the squall hits.  Been there done that and still remember it after 25 years.  Slow down until the point where you are about stopped and pray whoever is hidden in the curtain of snow behind you does the same thing.  Literally went from clear everything to snow covered roads and zero viz in less than 30 seconds.  That time was at night.

The snow squall warnings are most important for people traveling on major highways, such as interstates, but on rural roads as well.    I'd avoid speeding west on I-80 through that squall. If you are rolling from light to light in town the reduced visibility should be mostly a curiosity.  Quickly icing roads might be problematic though, especially where there are more hills or more knuckleheads or both.

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

As long as you are not actually driving on the Taconic when the squall hits.  Been there done that and still remember it after 25 years.  Slow down until the point where you are about stopped and pray whoever is hidden in the curtain of snow behind you does the same thing.  Literally went from clear everything to snow covered roads and zero viz in less than 30 seconds.  That time was at night.

The snow squall warnings are most important for people traveling on major highways, such as interstates, but on rural roads as well.    I'd avoid speeding west on I-80 through that squall. If you are rolling from light to light in town the reduced visibility should be mostly a curiosity.  Quickly icing roads might be problematic though, especially where there are more hills or more knuckleheads or both.

Good point...Like this but not as bad 

1 minute ago, Dan76 said:

Good point...Like this but not as bad 

The visibility was worse on the Taconic but fortunately no trucks and very few cars that night.  It sucks to be the guys who slow down when they should only to have some imbecile plow them from behind.  If you know that sudden squall is coming, get off the road and wait it out.  Idiots are everywhere.

Someone made a comment about the Snow Squall Warning being useless because by the time you hear it it's too late, but I bet they display it on the overhead roadway electronic signs.  People with a brain can take action while the majority speeds up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The visibility was worse on the Taconic but fortunately no trucks and very few cars that night.  It sucks to be the guys who slow down when they should only to have some imbecile plow them from behind.  If you know that sudden squall is coming, get off the road and wait it out.  Idiots are everywhere.

Someone made a comment about the Snow Squall Warning being useless because by the time you hear it it's too late, but I bet they display it on the overhead roadway electronic signs.  People with a brain can take action while the majority speeds up.

There are large expanses of highway without any electronic signage. I think a watch ahead of time would beneficial. It at least would catch people's attention better than the news saying "isolated/scattered snow showers".

• Like 1

There are large expanses of highway without any electronic signage. I think a watch ahead of time would beneficial. It at least would catch people's attention better than the news saying "isolated/scattered snow showers".
As an emergency manager, I tend to agree with you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can anyone narrow down a time for this ? Hudson valley by 4 ? Westchester ? Nyc ? How fast will they move and is it 1 line of squalls or several ? A little help thanx
Evening commute for the tri state area (nyc/nj/LI) one squall, likely becoming a bit larger as it traverses the tri state.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1