• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

Still a shot at something late Friday.  Wouldn’t need much QPF to get a couple of inches.  The confluence looks to be weakening in Canada the last few runs.  The problem is the western US upper pattern is becoming less ridgy and that’s preventing this from possibly being a surprise moderate event IMO 

3 hours ago, NycStormChaser said:

Mt Holly bumped up totals in their latest briefing  https://www.facebook.com/256261011073971/posts/2325760850790633

That was from yesterday afternoon and is out of date. They lowered totals this morning, as did Upton and they'll update again in the next 2 hours...

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

HRRR has been fluctuating all day, but the latest run has more snow for 95.  Has me at 1.8" in the Edison area with surface temps flipping from 37F and rain on the simulated radar at 7 pm, to 33F and snow on the simulated radar at 8 pm, with snow continuing until 11 pm, when the surface temp hits 32F.  And by midnight the surface is down to 30F and dropping quickly (28F by 1 am), so flash freeze of any slush is a real risk.  If I get 1" or more of slush, I'll be shoveling it at midnight.  

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

• Haha 1

Subzero whiteout on deck up there and a yardstick won't cut it. Epic.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Buffalo NY 142 PM EST Tue Jan 29 2019 NYZ007-008-300245- /O.UPG.KBUF.WC.A.0002.190130T2200Z-190131T2300Z/ /O.NEW.KBUF.WC.W.0002.190130T2200Z-190131T2300Z/ /O.CON.KBUF.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-190201T1200Z/ Jefferson-Lewis- Including the cities of Watertown and Lowville 142 PM EST Tue Jan 29 2019 ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST FRIDAY... ...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY... * WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow. Dangerously cold wind chills expected. Additional snow accumulations of 3 to 4 feet in the most persistent lake snows. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph. Wind chills as low as 30 below zero expected. * WHERE...Jefferson and Lewis counties with highest snow amounts over the Tug Hill Plateau.

• Like 4

• Rjay pinned this topic

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting with the snow squall. It's going to be like a thunderstorm rolling through the area for about 20 mins and then shut off but very dark skies before the wave ( like lake effect)

This can drop a dusting to an inch for the coast. I w ouldnt be shocked to see white out conditions with these squalls.

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

I was total opposite of what mt holly predicted lol 

What is your seasonal total so far?  I'm at 12.75" including today.  Pretty amazing that we went through November, December, and basically all of January only to get a foot of snow.  First week of February starting out warm too.