Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

24 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I was trying to remember when Suffolk had that insane snow squall.  It was early evening wasn’t it?    Didn’t realize anyone got that much 

It occurred around 9 PM if I remember correctly, I’d never seen that much snow pile up so rapidly, it was pretty intense.

1 minute ago, LIWeatherGuy29 said:

It looked the same way here in Southern Nassau County. Epic storm! There's a dusting of snow on the ground but thankfully not on the roads.

May not be a good thing since temps are crashing and it may flash freeze.

Ending in Huntington but wow, that was insane. Everything here is covered. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Wait brotha, its coming, white out here

This brief whiteout lasting 2-4 minutes rivaled some of the best blizzards here at their peaks. The rest of the event outside those few minutes was moderate to heavy. Easily the best few minutes of winter 18-19 so far.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Agreed. Not much accumulation, maybe 1/2"? We'll take it...

The first 5-10 minutes just melted and wet the ground when it was 33 degrees. That base layer flash froze on untreated surfaces with a coating of snow on top. Very slippery here in SW Suffolk and down to 24 degrees.

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

The first 5-10 minutes just melted and wet the ground when it was 33 degrees. Now that base layer flash froze on untreated surfaces with a coating of snow on top. Very slippery here in SW Suffolk and down to 24 degrees.

Up here (I can actually say that now lol), doesn't look like much melted and we have snowcovered everything. Probably a half inch and blowing around. It might actually be better for driving than a situation like yours. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Up here (I can actually say that now lol), doesn't look like much melted and we have snowcovered everything. Probably a half inch and blowing around. It might actually be better for driving than a situation like yours. 

Yea, welcome aboard. We didnt have much melt, just wasnt alot of QPF.