Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

23 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

What is your seasonal total so far?  I'm at 12.75" including today.  Pretty amazing that we went through November, December, and basically all of January only to get a foot of snow.  First week of February starting out warm too.

13.8 . U must have missed one of our big 1 inch storms lol 

4 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

NAM and HRRRRRRRRRRR impressive with the squall line later. 

nam3km_2019013012_fh9_sounding_40.73N_73.83W.png

This may be the only time that I have seen surface based CAPE and mixing to near 700 mb in late January. Very rare to see such impressive snow squall parameters here. The squall is already warned.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=snow squall warning

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This may be the only time that I have seen surface based CAPE and mixing to near 700 mb in late January. Very rare to see such impressive snow squall parameters here. The squall is already warned.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=snow squall warning

Yeah, warnings started from PIT and have gone east as the morning has progressed. 

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Most interested I've been in tracking a squall line for awhile.

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

I'm trying to think of a good spot with unobstructed western views to watch it arrive

The road over the Gunks has an awesome view to the west after you crest the top. There are also two view spots on the Taconic with long views all the way back across the river to the high peaks of the Catskills that are great for something like what you want to do. 

While this winter hasn't been what we've wanted in regards to snow, it has been interesting to see a November snowstorm, some nice cold with a lack of snowcover (again, natural pest control, such as the emerald ash borer), and now perhaps an impressive snow squall, which we don't see too often in our parts.

We've gotten fat and entitled in recent years.

• Like 1