Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

14 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

This map makes no sense. It gives me 5.5 which would be great but gives places north and west of me less. not going to happen. 

The Boston area members in the New England forum, I’m sure, would certainly agree with you. As always .....

Hope for the downtrodden snowless masses?  At least west of the Hudson, although the simulated radar shows the changeover just happening for NYC at 04Z with what looks like a couple of hours of snow after the end of the run, so maybe they'd get a couple of inches in that scenario.  And especially after the NWS lowered snowfall totals, especially along the 95 corridor with nada for NYC - and they lowered snowfall amounts for the advisory areas, but didn't drop any of the advisories (odd to have advisories, though, for counties N of 276/195 which have a 3" criterion).  

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter weather advisory

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

No photo description available.

4 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

A snowbow?

I've never actually seen that!

I saw a snow squall in clear sunny blue skies during the passage of an Arctic front a few years ago and something very weird back in the early 90s in December- an intense hour of snow with 2 inches during a clear moonlit night (a full moon actually.)  That snow squall stayed parked near JFK for the whole hour lol.

The snow flakes were the size of dollar bills! Or seemed like it lol.  I've always wanted to see a snowbow, a moonbow and a snownado lol.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Hope for the downtrodden snowless masses?  At least west of the Hudson, although the simulated radar shows the changeover just happening for NYC at 04Z with what looks like a couple of hours of snow after the end of the run, so maybe they'd get a couple of inches in that scenario.  And especially after the NWS lowered snowfall totals, especially along the 95 corridor with nada for NYC - and they lowered snowfall amounts for the advisory areas, but didn't drop any of the advisories (odd to have advisories, though, for counties N of 276/195 which have a 3" criterion).  

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter weather advisory

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

No photo description available.

Upton showing 0 here makes no sense

All the 12z hi-res guidance has a long squall line tomorrow; will be interesting to see whether a meso-low develops nearby as some hi-res and even globals show. The upper jet structure and PVA support it; if so, someone near that low track could see 2-3" but in general I think it's a 1" in <30 min type setup for most.  Those lapse rates in excess of 9C/km may drag some of the 50KT+ winds down from aloft. Also note the cloud tops at or colder than -30C on the HRRR below - that may support some lightning within the line. 

image.thumb.png.b127932653b769fa262b7e4dc8b306f1.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

All the 12z hi-res guidance has a long squall line tomorrow; will be interesting to see whether a meso-low develops nearby as some hi-res and even globals show. The upper jet structure and PVA support it; if so, someone near that low track could see 2-3" but in general I think it's a 1" in <30 min type setup for most.  Those lapse rates in excess of 9C/km may drag some of the 50KT+ winds down from aloft. Also note the cloud tops at or colder than -30C on the HRRR below - that may support some lightning within the line. 

image.thumb.png.b127932653b769fa262b7e4dc8b306f1.png

and it's coming through in the middle of the day- so it should be VERY photogenic!

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic