Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

39 minutes ago, Animal said:

3k nam is 6-9 inches higher terrain nnj

Hoping for at least 4.2". That would get me to 20" for the season.  Still a long way to go to get to average. If we get 4 ,we still need around 35" by us to get to average. That's a stretch the way this winter is playing out.  But not impossible. 

1 hour ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Hoping for at least 4.2". That would get me to 20" for the season.  Still a long way to go to get to average. If we get 4 ,we still need around 35" by us to get to average. That's a stretch the way this winter is playing out.  But not impossible. 

I’m at 20.7” ytd here. A shade below avg ytd. If we can reach our average here of 50” I’ll consider that a win

Winter storm watch for 6 to 10 here in the Poconos.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
305 PM EST Sun Jan 27 2019

NYZ036-045-046-057-062-PAZ040-048-072-282015-
/O.NEW.KBGM.WS.A.0003.190129T1200Z-190130T1200Z/
Madison-Chenango-Otsego-Delaware-Sullivan-Northern Wayne-Pike-
Southern Wayne-
Including the cities of Hamilton, Oneida, Norwich, Oneonta,
Delhi, Walton, Monticello, Damascus, Equinunk, Milford,
and Honesdale
305 PM EST Sun Jan 27 2019

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10
  inches possible.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Northern Wayne, Pike and Southern
  Wayne counties. In New York, Madison, Chenango, Otsego,
  Delaware and Sullivan counties.

* WHEN... Snow is expected to develop Tuesday morning and continue
  through Tuesday night. Snow may be moderate to heavy at times.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute.

4 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Still wouldn’t be surprised to see 2-3-4 inches as far east as western Long Island with this 

Agreed.  For the City on east to get nada, there would have to be both warmth in the thermal profiles keeping the early part of the storm rain, followed by a major reduction in precip rate, as the cold air moves in, since areas 20-40 miles to the W of NYC will also have rain followed by snow, but with enough QPF as snow to get several inches.  I know it's possible, but we rarely see this kind of gradient for these reasons (usually it's just a thermal issue leading to a steep gradient)

12Z NAM quicker w/ the cold air and has good forcing for a quick 1-3" tomorrow evening. Nice lift w/ that fronto band right in the DGZ. We'll see what other guidance shows. There should also be a brief squall with the true Arctic/Polar front midday Wednesday that could be good for an inch given good lapse rates through the DGZ and 500mb jet forcing. 

• Like 2

MT Holly is dropping the ball IMHO. They overreacted on the winter storm warning two weeks ago, now they are being way too conservative.  Two wrongs do not make it right.  In the LV 6 inches is considered a winter storm warning event in a 12 hour period. Why not a watch issued then?  Why does their map go from 2 inches in Philly to 8 inches in MT Pocono. Err on the safety side for this event This snow will be 180 degree difference from the last storm event as the snow ratios will be much higher as the temps continue to drop as the front has already passed.  Salt will not work on the roads after early Tuesday night. Blowing and drifting will be huge issues which are not even being discussed yet they talk about squalls on Wednesday? What comes with the squalls? I say nasty wind gusts and heavy snow, blowing and drifting. Usually we get squalls when we have bare ground with no snow. When a squall goes through this time, it will be a disaster. The public is not prepared for this in the LV and NJ. Rt 78 will have multiple wrecks. I see it coming. 40 years of weather experience says so.

• Haha 1

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic