• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

Good Saturday morning everyone,  Just chiming in, not having read anything here  or ), Weather US, Weather Bell. I don't have the time to keep up with all the very good discussion, so I may have missed some things written by others that are relevant and do not support my assessment-summary below.  Based on 00z-06z/26 ensembles and what is probably necessary to accommodate the coming PV plunge into the upper Midwest this Tue-Wed-Thu;  I am good with several inches of snow along or just nw of I-95 Tuesday (plowable/snowblower material, esp ne PA need along and nw of I84). Lets keep on eye on Monday close call too (it might yet blend in for a LI grazer???).  If NYC can get 2 inches of snow Tuesday, i like the odds of max max temp on the 31st of only 10F, coldest since 1994. If not on NYC snow, I still think climate weighted guidance will be too warm, because of the trending colder "ensembled" 2m temp departure 18z/31 (about 30F below normal).  Will NYC touch zero? I guess not, but pretty close.  CHI top 10 all time coldest mean temp 30th/31st, possibly top 4 or 5 coldest two day period. If the EPS consistently backs off from this date on, then this is all wrong but I don't think so.  Rooting for NYC snow on this one, but nothing locked there.  Much greater confidence west of I95. After Feb 2...no offerings yet, but overall I like what I'm seeing, especially since nothing yet blatant in a climatologically favorable period. Fingers crossed on MJO progressing to 7 and 8.  Walt 1/26 906A (cleaned up first 3 lines at 954AM)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

The Wednesday event looks like an arctic front with rain turning to snow.

Obviously if you take the 12Z Op Euro verbatim its rough for the coast but the whole dying band/transfer to the coastal is impossible to predict at this range.  Its entirely possible this could be a solid snow event here

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Obviously if you take the 12Z Op Euro verbatim its rough for the coast but the whole dying band/transfer to the coastal is impossible to predict at this range.  Its entirely possible this could be a solid snow event here

Agree it's within the realm of possibility.  Strangely, the 18Z NAM's more consolidated southern vort would do it - could only imagine what the DGEX would show after that. 

• Like 1

Good Sunday morning everyone,   Just my 2cents: Based on 00z-06z/27 ensembles and what is probably necessary to accommodate the coming PV plunge into the upper Midwest this Tue-Wed-Thu;  I am still good with several inches of snow just nw of I-95 Tuesday afternoon-night (plowable/ snowblower material, esp ne PA need along and nw of I84).  Thereafter, the GFS sfc isn't responding cold enough east of the Appalachians and appears too warm Thursday.  My guess is NYC min-max Thu 2 and 13...snow or no snow cover.  Fwiw... could see a dusting with the arctic cfp late Wednesday. Will NYC touch zero Thursday morning,  I guess not, but 00z/27 EC has ~zero 2m temp 12z/31.  CHI top 7 all time coldest mean temp 30th/31st, possibly top 4 or 5 coldest one and two day period. After Feb 4.., This is an especially a climatologically favorable period fort snowfall but the NAEFS is suggesting warm or very warm temps sometime between 4th-11th, not what I'd normally expect. Fingers crossed on MJO progressing to 7 and 8.  Walt 1/27 8AM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Good Sunday morning everyone,   Just my 2cents: Based on 00z-06z/27 ensembles and what is probably necessary to accommodate the coming PV plunge into the upper Midwest this Tue-Wed-Thu;  I am still good with several inches of snow just nw of I-95 Tuesday afternoon-night (plowable/ snowblower material, esp ne PA need along and nw of I84).  Thereafter, the GFS sfc isn't responding cold enough east of the Appalachians and appears too warm Thursday.  My guess is NYC min-max Thu 2 and 13...snow or no snow cover.  Fwiw... could see a dusting with the arctic cfp late Wednesday. Will NYC touch zero Thursday morning,  I guess not, but 00z/27 EC has ~zero 2m temp 12z/31.  CHI top 7 all time coldest mean temp 30th/31st, possibly top 4 or 5 coldest one and two day period. After Feb 4.., This is an especially a climatologically favorable period fort snowfall but the NAEFS is suggesting warm or very warm temps sometime between 4th-11th, not what I'd normally expect. Fingers crossed on MJO progressing to 7 and 8.  Walt 1/27 8AM. 

If the4-11 period is warm I think it's a safe bet we can start ordering supplies from the gardening catalog.

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

If the4-11 period is warm I think it's a safe bet we can start ordering supplies from the gardening catalog.

You don't know that. There would still be plenty of winter left. I got a ton of snow last march. I'm not throwing in the towel until we are actually in March and the fat lady is singing. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

You don't know that. There would still be plenty of winter left. I got a ton of snow last march. I'm not throwing in the towel until we are actually in March and the fat lady is singing. 

I sound like a broken record here, but a lot of us did not do well in March. It was a weird set up. I'm throwing in the towel already, but the snowblowers are still gassed and ready to go. If it were mid March or later, and it was warm, I'd empty them out. Actually, unless it's a doozy, I don't bother with cleaning March storms, sometimes they are almost gone the same day. Nature takes care of it. 

• Like 1

No doubt the delay is depressing for snow lovers, esp e of I95.  If we hav etc was til march, thats Okay,  though I like my winter in winter.  Don and other MJO experts will comment on any impact trends.  From what I can tell this is warmer than normal response is due to being in 6 now....  and may be mitigated if we get ne Canada Greenland blocking by Feb 10.  The anticipation is the fun part... but i share concerns.  Gardening tools not yet.. 

Rather than misplace this observation, have tucked it in here. 

Big flakes of snow in Wantage NJ right now... few and far between but at 37F/ TD 22...its flurrying.  11A/27

Just now, wdrag said:

No doubt the delay is depressing for snow lovers, esp e of I95.  If we hav etc was til march, thats Okay,  though I like my winter in winter.  Don and other MJO experts will comment on any impact trends.  From what I can tell this is warmer than normal response is due to being in 6 now....  and may be mitigated if we get ne Canada Greenland blocking by Feb 10.  The anticipation is the fun part... but i share concerns.  Gardening tools not yet.. 

Not yet on the gardening tools; but def looking at my catalogs and scoping out the fishing flea markets, because you can never have too much gear.

• Like 1

I guess everyone has seen the new 12z/27 GEFS, 12z/27 op EC and 12z/27 EPS (thru 156 hrs). EPS/EC is monitoring for NYC coldest day since 1994 on Thursday with lo/hi of about 0 and ~10F; and maybe...just maybe an inch of snow late Tuesday (EPS prob 20% for more than 1" which is small, while extreme nw Nj and ne PA EPS has 70% chc of more than 3"-Sussex County on the gradient where 70% tends to be less confident).  However, out here in nw NJ/ne PA some of the operational guidance is becoming more widespread on 6+ (snow ratio's?) for Pike and Sussex Counties  on northeastward into w 1/4 MA. (EPS is less ~4"). Also, am pretty confident of 1 or 2 days (30/31) Chicago top 2 coldest days on record.  This is a pretty big event or pair of events, that will exert quite a bit of hardship... infrastructure and 1 or 2 days of  cancellations I think here in nw NJ and ne PA,  at the least. Also,  noticing GEFS has quite a blocking signal beyond 10 days (ne Canada-Greenland)  that if occurs, would shunt the initial large warming of the 4th-7th, southward, setting up a battle zone-storm track nearby in Feb (hopefully  more favorable than the past two months).  No matter,  it looks active and interesting but then again,   i know its been mostly a dud in Dec-Jan so far for NYC eastward and my enthusiasm is predicated on modeled blocking actually occurring implying, a more snowy-colder favorable -NAO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I guess everyone has seen the new 12z/27 GEFS, 12z/27 op EC and 12z/27 EPS (thru 156 hrs). EPS/EC is monitoring for NYC coldest day since 1994 on Thursday with lo/hi of about 0 and ~10F; and maybe...just maybe an inch of snow late Tuesday (EPS prob 20% for more than 1" which is small, while extreme nw Nj and ne PA EPS has 70% chc of more than 3"-Sussex County on the gradient where 70% tends to be less confident).  However, out here in nw NJ/ne PA some of the operational guidance is becoming more widespread on 6+ (snow ratio's?) for Pike and Sussex Counties  on northeastward into w 1/4 MA. (EPS is less ~4"). Also, am pretty confident of 1 or 2 days (30/31) Chicago top 2 coldest days on record.  This is a pretty big event or pair of events, that will exert quite a bit of hardship... infrastructure and 1 or 2 days of  cancellations I think here in nw NJ and ne PA,  at the least. Also,  noticing GEFS has quite a blocking signal beyond 10 days (ne Canada-Greenland)  that if occurs, would shunt the initial large warming of the 4th-7th, southward, setting up a battle zone-storm track nearby in Feb (hopefully  more favorable than the past two months).  No matter,  it looks active and interesting but then again,   i know its been mostly a dud in Dec-Jan so far for NYC eastward and my enthusiasm is predicated on modeled blocking actually occurring implying, a more snowy-colder favorable -NAO. 

Awesome post. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

All the models have some snow for the NYC area on Tuesday.

88 you know I am out on that ledge with you but me personally = at this point I look at the models but I just don't trust any of them, not even this close to the event as they have just been so all over the place and inconsistent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

88 you know I am out on that ledge with you but me personally = at this point I look at the models but I just don't trust any of them, not even this close to the event as they have just been so all over the place and inconsistent 

I trust the EURO and in this range, the NAM.

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic