• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan-19-21 OBS for Snow/Sleet/ZR/Rain/Warmth/Cold - we got it all

ChescoWx

Sorry, I've been away. I'm writing this storm off as interesting and good experience from an understanding point of view. Last night was pretty foggy coming home from Bear Creek (BCMR) indicative of our CAD which I think was a factor with our front end thump (our "mountains" just aren't tall enough. A slight wind blew on the hill indicating the approaching front at about 2:45 pm, lasting about 5minutes at 7-9 mph. I left Macungie at 8pm we had 2" and it was still snowing (30F). When I got to Boyertown at 8:35pm it was sleet (31F), Douglassville was freezing rain at 8:55pm (only 1" of sleet/snow had fallen) (31F), South Pottstown at 9:10 pm was straight rain only .5" had fallen (32F). I spent nearly the whole day outside teaching so I really got a feel for how this style events busts. CAD's are curious to witness on the ground. 

Ended up with 0.66" rain yesterday and am up to 0.57" at post time this morning (total 1.23" for the 2 days so far).  Temp is 39 with light rain.

5 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Sorry, I've been away. I'm writing this storm off as interesting and good experience from an understanding point of view. Last night was pretty foggy coming home from Bear Creek (BCMR) indicative of our CAD which I think was a factor with our front end thump (our "mountains" just aren't tall enough. A slight wind blew on the hill indicating the approaching front at about 2:45 pm, lasting about 5minutes at 7-9 mph. I left Macungie at 8pm we had 2" and it was still snowing (30F). When I got to Boyertown at 8:35pm it was sleet (31F), Douglassville was freezing rain at 8:55pm (only 1" of sleet/snow had fallen) (31F), South Pottstown at 9:10 pm was straight rain only .5" had fallen (32F). I spent nearly the whole day outside teaching so I really got a feel for how this style events busts. CAD's are curious to witness on the ground. 

As I was looking at the radar yesterday, I was noting where the rain/snow line was before it got to me in NW Philly and at one point (see pic from ~8:30ish pm), it looked like there may have been heavier returns over the Pottstown area, so it's possible by the time you got past there, it was mostly gone -

radar1-01192019.png

10 hours ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

All IP now temp 32.3 ENE wind at 4mph and DP 30.8 - keep in mind sleet/IP does count as snow - I am sure most of you know that....ZR not so much

With official stats sleet is snow? NWS acknowledges this? So theoretically if we had 100" of sleet some winter without a single flake that would be considered the snowiest season on record?

.4" snow final Warminster 

This thing didn't even perform in the rain department.  Only up to 0.84" storm total.  

56 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

With official stats sleet is snow? NWS acknowledges this? 

Correct.  From the NWS snow measurement guidelines:  "Snowfall: Measure and record the snowfall (snow, ice pellets ) since the previous snowfall observation (24 hours)."   And,    "Sleet counts towards total snowfall, freezing rain accumulation does not." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

With official stats sleet is snow? NWS acknowledges this? So theoretically if we had 100" of sleet some winter without a single flake that would be considered the snowiest season on record?

7 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Correct.  From the NWS snow measurement guidelines:  "Snowfall: Measure and record the snowfall (snow, ice pellets ) since the previous snowfall observation (24 hours)."   And,    "Sleet counts towards total snowfall, freezing rain accumulation does not." 

From here - https://www.weather.gov/gsp/snow

Freezing rain (glaze ice) should never be reported as snowfall. This precipitation type is liquid precipitation and should be reported as such.

Snow Depth:

Determine the total depth of snow, ice pellets, or ice on the ground. This observation is taken once-a-day at the scheduled time of observation with a measuring stick. It is taken by measuring the total depth of snow on exposed ground at a permanently-mounted snow stake or by taking the average of several depth readings at or near the normal point of observation with a measuring stick. When using a measuring stick, make sure the stick is pushed vertically into the snow until the bottom of the stick rests on the ground. Do not mistake an ice layer or crusted snow as "ground". The measurement should reflect the average depth of snow, ice pellets, and glaze ice on the ground at your usual measurement site (not disturbed by human activities). Measurements from rooftops, paved areas, and the like should not be made.

Note: Hail accumulation is not entered with snow and ice pellets. Hail accumulation is entered in the ?/remarks/? section with the amount and diameter (inches and tenths) of the stones.

Rain for this morning was up to 0.60" (total 1.26" for the 2-day event).  Currently overcast and 42.  Looks like a pause before a potential final batch comes with the front.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

.4" snow final Warminster 

Hi Steve absolutely official NWS observations include all accumulation of snow and sleet - a couple of years ago when we had a couple sleet fests that all counts as snow not liquid.

• Like 1