Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

46 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I'm up to 1.92" for the storm, but the USGS automated gauge a half mile or so from the house is showing 1.42". Someone (me or them) is off as the difference shouldn't be that large in such a short distance.

oh your off alright.  :)

1.92 LE is definitely gonna be a glacier alright.  

We lost pretty much EVERYTHING down here.  MBY has an icy puddles kinda look already as ground was frozen going in, and we are coming down of the 40 degree high, so getting wood may become a job hazard this week.

friggin snow..........

I've gotta say that this storm has rattled me/many? as to how most of us saw the west solutions inside of 24, but this one went further with WAA than any of us thought (ok, mabye that HORST guy :) ).  Just need to remember the sting in a situ like this moving forward.

GFS just got some street creds back IMO.  

Shovel fast (for those that have something to shovel)  I hear the hounds of winter a barkin

• Like 1

Morning all...

The front appears to have just passed through here as I have rising pressure with suddenly gusty winds which just reached 30mph.  The temp overnight remained between 32 and 33 until 7am when it began to rise, peaking at 37 at 9:30.  Now back down to 36.3.

Total liquid from the storm was 1.29" with 3.6" of snow.  I've got about half of that snow left in very mushy form.  On to the glacier we go.

Winds picked up about 45 minutes ago and we had a quick little snow squall to go along with it. It was too warm to stick at that point, but you could literally feel the cold pouring into the area. Got all the shoveling and plowing done. Now to watch it all freeze solid.

27 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just went on a drive around Harrisburg, Camp Hill, out to Wegmans, etc. Roads are all plowed and clear so refreeze down here shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Trees have no snow thanks to the rain.

hard to think you guys are talking about plowed roads and its BROWN in northern Lanco.

35 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just went on a drive around Harrisburg, Camp Hill, out to Wegmans, etc. Roads are all plowed and clear so refreeze down here shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Trees have no snow thanks to the rain.

The runoff from some of the melting is going to be a problem later. 

5 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

Blue Knob. I skied there one time. Once. I feel like you would do better there with a pair of ice skates than a pair of skis. All ice.

Best conditions I ever snowboarded in up there was right after the late March snowstorm this past winter. They got like 20+ inches of snow and had every trail open for a few days. 

4 hours ago, Voyager said:

I'm up to 1.92" for the storm, but the USGS automated gauge a half mile or so from the house is showing 1.42". Someone (me or them) is off as the difference shouldn't be that large in such a short distance.

Whichever number is correct is still a pretty impressive precip amount for the Tamaqua Desert. 

This morning my point n click said my temp would drop to 19 by 5:00pm.  Now, shortly after 4:00 I am down to 23.  Don't think I'll make it to 19 by 5:00, but except for when the sun was out strong a few hours ago the temp has been on a gradual downhill slide most of the past 6 hours.  I've had multiple wind gusts into the mid-upper 20's as well.

The barometric pressure here bottomed out around 7:00am at 992 mb or 29.30".  That low was pretty strong.  I don't remember it ever being progged to be in the low 990's.  I remember seeing upper 990's.  I guess that played into the further NW movement overall with the storm.

Wonder what's in store for us midweek after the warmer portion of the storm is through? 

39 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

This morning my point n click said my temp would drop to 19 by 5:00pm.  Now, shortly after 4:00 I am down to 23.  Don't think I'll make it to 19 by 5:00, but except for when the sun was out strong a few hours ago the temp has been on a gradual downhill slide most of the past 6 hours.  I've had multiple wind gusts into the mid-upper 20's as well.

The barometric pressure here bottomed out around 7:00am at 992 mb or 29.30".  That low was pretty strong.  I don't remember it ever being progged to be in the low 990's.  I remember seeing upper 990's.  I guess that played into the further NW movement overall with the storm.

Wonder what's in store for us midweek after the warmer portion of the storm is through? 

Kind of looks snowy and icy Wed AM in Central PA.  North and South.  Could be snow two days in a row if the Thursday wave comes to fruition.