• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

Highest I saw after the changeover was 3.8” here (west shore Harrisburg - north Enola) but it is 36 and still raining so that is already compacted down to just below 3”.  At this rate I may not even need to shovel in the morning.  Temps are now into the 50s in WV and southern MD/VA at almost 1am in January and if this low continues to track to our west overnight we may end up in the 40s across southern PA by sunrise.

Just now, 2001kx said:

Right around 5.5" (same as the earlier storm)

I guess the hunt for a big snow storm still lives...It just doesnt happen here for some reason.

That's it? Wow I'm surprised. Figured you were gonna end up a couple inches better than here. Might have to see if you get a piece of the deform when the cold air starts pressing west to east a little later this morning and tries to change the leftovers over before moving out. Some of the 0z models were actually trying to hint at more of that deform swinging further into western PA. 

13 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Highest I saw after the changeover was 3.8” here (west shore Harrisburg - north Enola) but it is 36 and still raining so that is already compacted down to just below 3”.  At this rate I may not even need to shovel in the morning.  Temps are now into the 50s in WV and southern MD/VA at almost 1am in January and if this low continues to track to our west overnight we may end up in the 40s across southern PA by sunrise.

Above freezing temps aren't going to last long this morning, and it doesn't look like the Harrisburg area is going to get to 40+. HRRR has most of the LSV back below freezing by noon. 

8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

That's it? Wow I'm surprised. Figured you were gonna end up a couple inches better than here. Might have to see if you get a piece of the deform when the cold air starts pressing west to east a little later this morning and tries to change the leftovers over before moving out. Some of the 0z models were actually trying to hint at more of that deform swinging further into western PA. 

Would be nice if that happened.

Just yesterday the NWS had me at 80%+ to get 8" 

Just now, 2001kx said:

Would be nice if that happened.

Just yesterday the NWS had me at 80%+ to get 8" 

With the storm being further northwest, we missed out on warm advection snows that broke out earlier in the day (went into upstate NY) and also the axis of deform snows is off the NW as well, so that made us depend almost completely on front end.  But either way we're going to have one heck of a glacier tomorrow with that arctic air crashing in. It's still 30-31ºF down here and mainly some light freezing rain with the snow getting a crust on top. With the lack of surface wind I don't expect temps to move up very much in the central counties (other than Laurels), maybe getting a couple degrees above freezing right before the cold comes in. 

54 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

This one stings...from a 15" NWS call just hours before start time to 4" of slop out there.

Interesting that you're only 4" - I just measured 6.75" and that's AFTER sleet and freezing rain compacted it. Must have been under some intense bands during the night. Agree that this one stings. But at least we'll have an ice pack that should last for awhile. 

After having lived here for over 30 years, have come to expect our best snows in March. So plenty of time left.

29 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Interesting that you're only 4" - I just measured 6.75" and that's AFTER sleet and freezing rain compacted it. Must have been under some intense bands during the night. Agree that this one stings. But at least we'll have an ice pack that should last for awhile. 

After having lived here for over 30 years, have come to expect our best snows in March. So plenty of time left.

That's not an official measurement, just eyeballing this morning. But never really saw the heavy snow last night that some Altoona/State College posters were reporting. Maybe we just missed out on that. Based on the snowfall reports it looks like Clearfield really got screwed too.

But yeah, learned long ago to keep expectations very low for these things... then you're happy with whatever you end up with. I'm most upset all the mixing will ruin the ski conditions... I had high hopes of shredding some pow at Blue Knob this week.

Morning obs from Tamaqua:

It's still raining and the temp is up to 40 degrees here. I almost wish we'd have made it into the 50's. Why? Because so far, my 2.5" of snow from last night has melted and compacted down to one inch of slush and slop. If it were warmer, I may not have to go out and attempt to remove this stuff, which must be done early and soon, before it freezes into a rock.

So far, I have gotten 1.49" of precipitation (snow, sleet, and rain) from the system. I do wish it would have been cold enough to stay powder instead of what is curretnly out there. It would have been a great event if it had...

38 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

That's not an official measurement, just eyeballing this morning. But never really saw the heavy snow last night that some Altoona/State College posters were reporting. Maybe we just missed out on that. Based on the snowfall reports it looks like Clearfield really got screwed too.

But yeah, learned long ago to keep expectations very low for these things... then you're happy with whatever you end up with. I'm most upset all the mixing will ruin the ski conditions... I had high hopes of shredding some pow at Blue Knob this week.

Well, for a skier that was indeed kind of a kick in the balls. At least we're going to have prolonged cold and the lakes aren't frozen. So maybe lots of lake effect for Blue Knob in the near future.

30 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I don’t have a gauge, I’d love to know how much rain we got over night. I got up at 4 and it was still raining. I pity anyone who didn’t clean up last night. I shoveled my driveway last night and only had sidewalks to finish this morning, shits heavy

I'm up to 1.92" for the storm, but the USGS automated gauge a half mile or so from the house is showing 1.42". Someone (me or them) is off as the difference shouldn't be that large in such a short distance.

• Like 1

Stepping back for a moment, despite this storm falling short of expectations, this past week has been a good week for winter weather.

We have had 3 snow events at MDT that have totaled 5.9 inches. 

This brings MDT’s seasonal total to 14.7 inches, which is 4 inches above the seasonal average through this date.

Also, there should be a couple of possibilities this week for more !

Also, the Euro weeklies say that our pattern should be fantastic through February!

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

I don’t have a gauge, I’d love to know how much rain we got over night. I got up at 4 and it was still raining. I pity anyone who didn’t clean up last night. I shoveled my driveway last night and only had sidewalks to finish this morning, shits heavy

I've had 2.1" of rain (though I was raining by 7:30 last evening)

No shoveling required here...it's gone.