Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I know Newville quite well! Grew up going to church camp across the road from Colonel Denning  State Park. :) 

Congrats on the snow. Yes I was very close (very lucky) but just like the Price Is Right...you exceeded my guess. I trust you to know you didn't slant stick. :) 

2 minutes ago, whiteout said:

I’m about 3 miles from Doubling Gap. Yolijwa is a great place. Went there as a kid too. Still all snow here no sign of sleet yet but I know it’s coming. 

I went to Camp Yolijwa too! Was there when a tornado hit the camp during summer camp and was interviewed by the news stations.

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I know Newville quite well! Grew up going to church camp across the road from Colonel Denning  State Park. :) 

Congrats on the snow. Yes I was very close (very lucky) but just like the Price Is Right...you exceeded my guess. I trust you to know you didn't slant stick. :) 

exceeded...by a whopping 0.3".  Truth is I might have had a few tenths more of snowfall because I didn't realize the sleet had moved in until I went to take the measurement, and it looked like there was some sleet accumulation on top of the snow already.  But, it's what I measured.  And yes, the snow stick was perfectly perpendicular to the board.  Haha. I'm a horribly detailed individual in many areas of my life and accuracy of weather measurements is near the top of my list!:D

Just now, canderson said:

Pretty much all sleet now. 

When is the cold air coming tomorrow ? Have to shovel this before it turns to ice blocks or I’m not getting my car out of the garage ...

It drops below freezing by noon tomorrow and then keeps dropping after that. I'm probably gonna shovel around that time or a little before.

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I remember that! You ever hike up to flat rock during camp?

By the way...how are you guys doing up there tonight? 

Sure did! Love that place.

Things are just getting started here in Upstate NY. It has been snowing the grainy snow all day with a few inches. Better dendrites are forming now, and we are expecting 1 to 2 feet by tomorrow afternoon. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I believe our time is coming. This one was never really ours. Lots to look forward to though. 

Perhaps I should just ignore the board until Horst says something's coming.  Then I'll let you text me and save me from the countless hours I spent chasing tonight's storm since last Monday morning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

exceeded...by a whopping 0.3".  Truth is I might have had a few tenths more of snowfall because I didn't realize the sleet had moved in until I went to take the measurement, and it looked like there was some sleet accumulation on top of the snow already.  But, it's what I measured.  And yes, the snow stick was perfectly perpendicular to the board.  Haha. I'm a horribly detailed individual in many areas of my life and accuracy of weather measurements is near the top of my list!:D

Well it was purely a guess that went right. Honestly I thought our totals would end up closer but I couldn't even get to 1". On to better days ahead... :) 

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Perhaps I should just ignore the board until Horst says something's coming.  Then I'll let you text me and save me from the countless hours I spent chasing tonight's storm since last Monday morning.

Yes. Growing up in Lancaster, it was hard to get excited about snowstorms...UNLESS Horst jumped on board. Excellent meteorologist who doesn't over react.

Congrats State College

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
930 PM EST Sat Jan 19 2019

PAZ017>019-024>028-049>053-201200-
/O.CON.KCTP.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-190120T1800Z/
Clearfield-Northern Centre-Southern Centre-Cambria-Blair-
Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Union-Snyder-Montour-Northumberland-
Columbia-
Including the cities of DuBois, Clearfield, Philipsburg,
State College, Johnstown, Altoona, Huntingdon, Mount Union,
Lewistown, Mifflintown, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Danville,
Sunbury, Shamokin, Bloomsburg, and Berwick
930 PM EST Sat Jan 19 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation. Total snow accumulations of 3
  to 10 inches, with the least amounts near Johnstown and the
  heaviest amounts near State College. Ice accumulations will
  range from around a tenth of an inch in many locations, to over
  a quarter inch on the ridgetops near Johnstown.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...Snow will change to mixed precipitation late this
  evening. The mixed precipitation will taper off around dawn
  Sunday.

3 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

About that...I'm sorry to everyone for my rant this morning. I actually posted an apology in the other thread and it's not there anymore.

I'm going to lay off. As Nut said if you really want to know what he has to say...you can always see for yourself.

I had a bad morning and well, I'm really sorry guys. 

• Like 1

No doubt this was difficult storm to predict. Glad this forum was in for whatever could happen and we didn’t issue a forecast every  hour changing it. Although I need to say a fun storm. And one when you know Mets that tweet to harm others or to say they are so right just sets me back.

its all good it’s weather!