Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

1 minute ago, bubbler86 said:

I think that was about an hour or so ago.  I am only 1/2 mile from the MD line and only about 15-20 miles north of 70 so it was close to me back then.  You have the better spot for this one.   Radar makes it appear the sleet line is indeed just to my south. 

I see.  Cash just showed the radar.  It just sucks that any mix is already this close less than 2 hours after the storm really got underway.

25 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

We just started snowing pixie dust here.  All good bud.  You know I'm down w/ every flake i can get, but track now into Pa says were cooked.  When it was under us, I was all in.  

No biggie.  I'm really excited for what we have coming up w/ LR guidance, and think that we can/will score.  Like I just said in the MA forum, I'll clip my way to climo and be just fine w/ it.

Now lets watch it snow.  I gotta go crack another Cold Snap.  Damn thats good beer.

That’s perfect! Good stuff Nut. 

Just now, Cashtown_Coop said:

Yep.   South wind running the line up the ridge.  

I am learning my micro climate here and this is a good lesson.  Not sure I have many ice storms being on this side of the mountain.  Watching the HRRR I saw it only giving me 1-2" and holding your area as snow longer and it did a good job with the call. 

4 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I see.  Cash just showed the radar.  It just sucks that any mix is already this close less than 2 hours after the storm really got underway.

Wouldn't you think that you would hold on for a bit being east of the ridge?  At least a few hours.  The snow right before the line gets there is intense.  Probably 2" an hour if it would only last. 

I just got done driving home from Carlisle to Newville in north western Cumberland County. The rates are insane it’s a shame we don’t hold onto them before the flip for longer because these puppies would put down quite a bit of snow in a short period of time. I have 28° a couple miles north west of Newville right now which is quite a bit colder than it has been all day

Just now, bubbler86 said:

Wouldn't you think that you would hold on for a bit being east of the ridge?  At least a few hours.  The snow right before the line gets there is intense.  Probably 2" an hour if it would only last. 

I do expect to hold on longer, but with changeovers to sleet they usually come up from the south fairly quickly.  I hold on to the cold really long in CAD setups which is great if you want ZR.  I don't mind a little bit of that but would prefer not a lot.  BTW earlier you asked how close I was to the mountain.  I'm about 5 miles south of the base in north middleton twp, and also less than 750 feet from the Conodoguinet.  That positions me in the lowest part of the immediate valley of the creek.

3 minutes ago, whiteout said:

I just got done driving home from Carlisle to Newville in north western Cumberland County. The rates are insane it’s a shame we don’t hold onto them before the flip for longer because these puppies would put down quite a bit of snow in a short period of time. I have 28° a couple miles north west of Newville right now which is quite a bit colder than it has been all day

I'm anticipating what you've got arriving here very soon!  :)

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I do expect to hold on longer, but with changeovers to sleet they usually come up from the south fairly quickly.  I hold on to the cold really long in CAD setups which is great if you want ZR.  I don't mind a little bit of that but would prefer not a lot.  BTW earlier you asked how close I was to the mountain.  I'm about 5 miles south of the base in north middleton twp, and also less than 750 feet from the Conodoguinet.  That positions me in the lowest part of the immediate valley of the creek.

Ahh, thought you were a bit closer to the the ridges.  There is still some snow mixed with the sleet here so you are good for a bit hopefully.  I hope you get exactly 4".  Max out but keep the total within my prediction for you :-).  With the sleet here I am going down as 2" for my snow total.  It snowed 3/4 of an inch in the last 45 min before the sleet came.  

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Man CTP has really shifted the zr forecast NW. <.1” for MDT but up to .25” for State College. 

Models are showing temps getting up to 33-34 as the 850 line zooms overhead there. Maybe it’s a little too warm but I also don’t remember many ice storms in State College. I remember tons of sleet and numerous 33 degree rains. 

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

@bubbler86

we’re still hanging on.    I wouldn’t mind a period of sleet to lock in the snowpack before our arctic blast 

BECE3F59-26CC-45DA-A720-847526F11D22.png

Wow, look at the push over York.  The line that switched me before has indeed pivoted S/W a bit.   The longer we stay on the edge of that thing the more we can pad the stats.   I might actually have to go shovel if we get over 3".

Just now, bubbler86 said:

Wow, look at the push over York.  The line that switched me before has indeed pivoted S/W a bit.   The longer we stay on the edge of that thing the more we can pad the stats.   I might actually have to go shovel if we get over 3".

That initial push looks to be on the edge of where the heavier bursts have started.  Heavier rates have helped to hold off the mixing but that secondary surge is now pushing into the Mason-Dixon Line.  Curious to see if anyone close to the edge of the mountains like you/cashtown/Carlisle can hold on longer than some of rest of us as areas east begin to mix.