Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Both northern and southern Lycoming as well as Sullivan is lumped in with the NY border counties on that advisory, so I would imagine IPT itself is looking at the high end of that. And your on the 3 inch line on their map. I think you have a chance for getting into a 3-5 type snow. Problem up your way sure isn't temps, it's QPF. Best forcing and support for potentially intense rates to get the warning snows look to reside in the southern half of PA.

Early look at almost the full event on the 18z HRRR looks pretty good for all of our members in here, as well as the Pittsburgh and SW PA gang too as that model gives them the same several hour period of solid snows as us. 

I didn't see anywhere in the new short term disco that mentioned CTP riding the GFS, I did see this though.

I like that blurb from ctp about snowfall being able to survive the warm nose and possible delay in changeover. 

Hearing them say that means there is a possibility that i need to shoot a crow for supper tomorrow night.  Seeing the 18z pretty much hold serve is a good thing.  I think i even have a whack at 5-6 now.  

I'd be glad to eat it.

I’m not sure how that evolution would happen. I think a smoother distribution in our area would make more sense but it sure makes one wonder. 

Lots of cold dry air.

When you see those on the models, it usually means something.

With that look, I’d much rather be on west side of town.

EDIT:

Although it appears to be not as bad as we move closer to the event.

35 minutes ago, RI Rob said:

What’s going on guys. Do you think I’ll run into very many issues leaving Fishkill NY tomorrow around 4 heading to Scranton? I’m from out of state so I’m not overly familiar with the highways during storms in PA. 

Good luck. I’d not do that drive tomorrow esp late afternoon. 

34 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Think the next couple of weeks will offer a couple of opportunities for the elusive " big one."

My bar is set for 3" tomorrow. Lower than a lot of guidance but experience says to expect lower amounts and hope for bigger.

well looky whos back.  glad to see you.

I think 3-6 is very possible for us.  Hi res all coming into agreement and go look at CTP's afternoon update, they are as bullish as they get about a possible thumping for some.

We wont be the winners, but we'll be in the game here.

1 hour ago, RI Rob said:

What’s going on guys. Do you think I’ll run into very many issues leaving Fishkill NY tomorrow around 4 heading to Scranton? I’m from out of state so I’m not overly familiar with the highways during storms in PA. 

I am not that familar with route 84 but it will be snow covered with well below freezing temps in the mid to upper 20's so that drive will be a bit dangerous. 

13 minutes ago, RI Rob said:

Agh I was hoping you wouldn’t say that. Maybe it makes more sense for me to stay another night in Fishkill and head for Scranton early Thursday’s 

I'm not one to tell folks what to do, as we all have different takes on it.  I love driving in snow...yeah I scare me once in a while, but I play it pretty safe.  Easiest call is if you have the time to wait,and are uncomfortable driving in it, say another night.  If you enjoy it....then enjoy it.  Nice thing is we now all have gps's to reroute if needed.  NBD.

Nut

Not staying up for all the models tonight but HAVE to see what the Nam says.  It has to give up the ghost and pull the maxes south or it is going to pull off a coup and IF it does give up will south PA be Nam'ed and make forecasters worry that 8" forecasts will bust low when a combo of longer CAD, better ratios and longer period of snow ups the ante.