Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

23 minutes ago, Ruin said:

your employer is responsible if any one is in a accident since some employees feel as if they dont show up they are fired. or will be written up etc. i had a job who tried to force me to come in saying you better find a way. mind you this was in 2 feet of snow. I was like look here 1 your not my dept supervisor 2 I dont have a vehicle that can drive in snow up to my doors. 3 if i feel like im forced to come to work or ill be fired and if i get in a accident cause of it your held liable. so unless your going to pick me up in a lifted truck you better calm down. with that said id rather drive in 2 feet of snow vs ice. Mind you this post under is more about snow. but if you did drive to work and get in a accident do to no fault of your own but because road conditions were not safe. Also does any one remember when a state of emergency meant if a cop pulled you over you got a ticket if you were not essential personal.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/snow-lawsuits.aspx

I’m not sure that is correct, You’re employer isn’t responsible. And most people have no idea what. State of emergency is.

17 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

We continue to have occasional snow flakes mix in when the rain gets heavy here...probably related to the elevation.  Solid ice out. 

I just looked at the HRRR and it actually has snow over me as of 8PM.  Not even going to guess how that is possible but impressive call/coincidence. When I looked at the column hours ago it had retreated way north. 

image.png.baca147218b7566e5daf47f4d0bbd935.png

24 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I’m not sure that is correct, You’re employer isn’t responsible. And most people have no idea what. State of emergency is.

Yes if you feel as if they forced you to come into work or they will fire you. it was a law that was passed in the 80s now that law has changed here and there. but I was even told by a friendly employer that called all the employee's and even stated this to us. saying I understand we are having a blizzard if you feel pressured to come into work dont your are protected by the law.   

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

And we look to stay below freezing for a couple hours yet 

Strange. Once the heavier precip came back in I shot up from 27 to 32 on my backyard station and 31 on my weather app. I can't see us holding on below freezing at the surface for much longer considering such a rapid rise.

Down to some light freezing rain/rain now with maybe a pinger or two and temps at 32ºF. Have measured 0.8" of sleet that's had some freezing rain on it as well. Don't see anything noteworthy in terms of ice accrual on trees/powerlines although I'm sure there is at least a bit and I'm heading out to do some more cleanup. The sleet brings the storm's frozen total to 5.6". 

I'm not a spotter and I'm not going out to try and measure a tree limb, but I'd say we're close to 0.25" with actual icicles forming on the wires and trees around here. Just had a heavy burst of rain which took my backyard station up to 33, but I'm not sure if that's just latent heat from the rain on my sensor, or if we have indeed gone above freezing. Weather app still says it's 31 here.

6 minutes ago, pawatch said:

I feel like I underreported at 6 1/4 seeing those Franklin County totals.   That is my penalty for not using a snow board.

Unless the radar fills in after the temps warm up above frz. All forecasts will bust with the rain over night. infact we didnt get the real heavy slug of moisture models hinted out over night at all so far. mod to mostly like frz rain or a mist for a few hours.

Welcome to the freaking Ice kingdom 

8EBA8A6D-58BF-407B-AE68-0439B93425D0.thumb.jpeg.0817cfbdb72643770c21cc4566d08413.jpeg

Only got about a tenth ice on the tree branches but the rain on the nearly inch of sleet earlier really made a mess. Overall snow depth with the double ice layer is 8”.  Temps still at freezing and freezing drizzle  still lingering. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Still 28 here with soild ice.

Just noticed the GFS keeps most at 40 or under now.  Snow Pack may live on another day. 

31 Here at work in Harrisburg. It seems weird as i only work a mile the way the bird flies from home on the west shore, separated only bu the Susky river. But it almost seems like we had more ice over home.