• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

HRRR continues to lower temps this evening...now getting back down/staying at 27-29 for LSV and 28-30 here.  @sauss06 does not get above freezing until 2 or 3AM now.  

Just checked 850 and 700MB and both are retreating back through the LSV right now so may really be an ice storm.  I scoffed it off this AM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, pawatch said:

How do you like that for pushing snow?

I’ve got a teryx 750 w plow up at cabin. They are so much fun and really push snow. If considering...do it. You will be pleased. Got great deal on used side by side and buddy gave me plow from his work. I retrofitted and welded brackets for front mount. It’s a fun job. 

21B5B1C3-6183-491A-8210-20B0847897EC.jpeg

• Like 2

20z HRRR freezing rain accumulation.

zr_acc.us_ne.png

If the freezing rain is as heavy as depicted on the HRRR, there's no way I could see this much. The heavier the precip will make it harder for accumulation and the latent heat release aspect as well. BUT, I still think Central PA will see it's fair share of icing this evening.

Still light drizzle here (between @sauss06 and @Blizzard of 93) and its freezing on everything - measured close to 0.10” on a cold surface.  I need to find or set something up for better measurement later.  Had max depth of 5” and melting down now to see liquid content which I should have done a few hours ago as the snow let up.  Current depth now that there is a layer of ice is closer to 4.5”.

3 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Still light drizzle here (between @sauss06 and @Blizzard of 93) and its freezing on everything - measured close to 0.10” on a cold surface.  I need to find or set something up for better measurement later.  Had max depth of 5” and melting down now to see liquid content which I should have done a few hours ago as the snow let up.  Current depth now that there is a layer of ice is closer to 4.5”.

Confirming - ice accretion on most (untreated) surfaces in the city. Ice capades in the morning  

6 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Hrrrrrrr and nammmm both have a nice slug of zr headed this way.

Gonna b Schlippy. 

Just now, pasnownut said:

Hrrrrrrr and nammmm both have a nice slug of zr headed this way.

Gonna b Schlippy. 

It’s this period of lighter precip that is going to be the biggest issue for a while because its going to cause accretion faster than heavier rainfall rates and heavier rates right now would likely flip the droplets to sleet with the low level (850mb to 925mb to 1000mb) still quite cold.  So yea giving accretion a head start before more moisture later that both of those are showing is going to make it quite icy especially now that the sun is approaching sunset too.

22 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I’ve got a teryx 750 w plow up at cabin. They are so much fun and really push snow. If considering...do it. You will be pleased. Got great deal on used side by side and buddy gave me plow from his work. I retrofitted and welded brackets for front mount. It’s a fun job. 

21B5B1C3-6183-491A-8210-20B0847897EC.jpeg

I'm kind of locked in with what I got. But they look like they would be fun.

7 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

That thing is a tank.   It will get through anything.    I’ve plowed a foot a wet snow and it’s cuts it like butter 

Thanks! sometime I will have to try one.

A blower is kind of handy for me, so I have a tractor.

image.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Yes, I cleared the cars & by the time that I was done shoveling, everything was encased in ice. This evening could be treacherous with the inbound precip !

Saw several posts about latent heat from heavy rain...I think the other issue with heavy precip would be the temps it pulls down from above this evening (for those wanting ice).  It is still below freezing down to Richmond so nothing is warming us here except for heavy precip.  Appears it is above freezing above 925MB now (up to 500) LSV and West.

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, that’s what I have too !

These snow to ice Storms that we’ve had this year have been a heck of a workout!

Count me amongst the group that does not have to fill a gas tank to clear my driveway.  I have mentioend before it is 1/8 of a mile long so the first time we get a MECS or above I will have to strageigically shovel only a small path to get to the garages as 2-3 hours of lifting is enough. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Wanna swap fr a day.  Love that tractor. 

That thing saves me a lot of time with snow removal. A decent snow it will blow snow 40'. Today's snow wasn't really worth firing up.

19 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Count me amongst the group that does not have to fill a gas tank to clear my driveway.  I have mentioend before it is 1/8 of a mile long so the first time we get a MECS or above I will have to strageigically shovel only a small path to get to the garages as 2-3 hours of lifting is enough. 

Bubbler not sure how you do it I would at least need a walk behind snowblower. 

@NWSStateCollege

6PM Radar Update: Moderate to heavy freezing rain is moving into SW PA at this hour. 

image.jpg

18 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Saw several posts about latent heat from heavy rain...I think the other issue with heavy precip would be the temps it pulls down from above this evening (for those wanting ice).  It is still below freezing down to Richmond so nothing is warming us here except for heavy precip.  Appears it is above freezing above 925MB now (up to 500) LSV and West.

Yes, dew point at MDT is still 26. Temps might drop with heavy precip.

I’ll be interested to see what kind of precip @MAG5035 starts off with this next round.

Just now, pawatch said:

That thing saves me a lot of time with snow removal. A decent snow it will blow snow 40'. Today's snow wasn't really worth firing up.

Bubbler not sure how you do it I would at least need a walk behind snowblower. 

We really have not had anything that requires a snow blower this year.  If I feel I am tired or, like today, the next day is going to be warm I will only open one garage.  The driveway is skinny until it gets to the rear of the house when it turns into almost 3/4 the size of an NBA court!  Most of this years snow have been more about pushing and less about lifting.  November was the worst. 

• Like 1

So I'm learning here:  "latent heat" has been mentioned today -- is that why sometimes we have freezing rain that doesn't freeze, even when surface temps are well below freezing?  I never saw / noticed this phenomenon until we moved to central PA (previously lived in Illinois, MD, and northern VA).  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, slanich said:

So I'm learning here:  "latent heat" has been mentioned today -- is that why sometimes we have freezing rain that doesn't freeze, even when surface temps are well below freezing?  I never saw / noticed this phenomenon until we moved to central PA (previously lived in Illinois, MD, and northern VA).  Thanks!

Heavier downpours of rain (starting as snow above and melting of course) falling through the warm layer aloft will eventually act to warm up the cold layer below, especially if the warm layer is a good bit above freezing. If you have a really warm layer aloft that's pretty thick, like say into the upper 30s-40s.. heavier rain will bring surface temps to freezing and slightly above pretty quickly.  

Big raindrops aren't very efficient for accretion on trees/powerlines/etc in most any icing scenario simply because the bigger droplets just splash off. The light to moderate rainfall with finer droplets are the best for ice accrual.