Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Do you know of a good radar that eliminates virga, or does such a thing exist? 

There's not really a radar that will eliminate virga. Radar apps like RadarScope that incorporate ground observation data from apps like mPing can really help with ground truth, although that depends on people to report on it, which can sometimes be sparse out of the metro areas. You can see all the DC snow weenies clustered together. Snow has just arrived here, so I have my mPing report in here in Altoona. 

343137410_ScreenShot2019-02-20at6_32_25AM.thumb.png.26aa1806d02beff3d688f9dfffa2dca7.png

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

There's not really a radar that will eliminate virga. Radar apps like RadarScope that incorporate ground observation data from apps like mPing can really help with ground truth, although that depends on people to report on it, which can sometimes be sparse out of the metro areas. You can see all the DC snow weenies clustered together. Snow has just arrived here, so I have my mPing report in here in Altoona. 

Thanks, appreciate the information. 

5 minutes ago, daxx said:

Nice band on radar right over me!  Only problem is not a flake from it.  I was hoping by 7 it would be reaching the ground.

Some of the M/D posters on the other side of the border have been reporting flurries for about 30 minutes now. Looks like we'll be waiting until 8am or so. 

Edit: My dew has dropped to 14 from 16 earlier. 

Just ran through the SR Meso's and pretty uniform calls for snow until 2-3 in the LSV, a little later up north.  Has a fairly large blob of S Central PA concentrated for 6-10" with 3-6" in the corners of south PA and 3-5" north of I80.  People are probably tired of maps but can post any if interested. 

Never tired, post away

5 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Just ran through the SR Meso's and pretty uniform calls for snow until 2-3 in the LSV, a little later up north.  Has a fairly large blob of S Central PA concentrated for 6-10" with 3-6" in the corners of south PA and 3-5" north of I80.  People are probably tired of maps but can post any if interested. 

post it 

• Like 1

HRRR which is a little below the threshold I mentioned but these others are over it.  All of these are snow only forecasts as I took snips right when the transition was happening.  Just realized the scale is not on these so here you go.  The numbers on the maps are not always the totals for that area as the number may be misplaced and meant to be for the right or left.  For example, all of these maps (hard to tell with the RAP though) are 5-6 for MDT or higher.

image.png.3dc1085e7734330111805ff0cea99f4c.png

image.png.f86ca61d1b8345f49d38dbd3a157a16a.png

HRDRPS

image.png.e8a579e2068843baae95cb4da5099be5.png

Nam 3K

image.png.b9863402f27ab093e47d729bb9a461e5.png

Rap (Pink is 6-8" and white is 5-6")

image.png.64503442b7260a1715564ddb6dbb9c7e.png

• Like 1