Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

19 minutes ago, pawatch said:

All these models have been struggling with this pattern we have had this winter. Including the forecasters. :P

Somebody should see a good front end bump of snow, it's all going to come down to how long the cold sticks around.

Thinking of you want more than half a foot of snow you need to go south, nearly to VA.

• Like 1

For those that are interested in model verification there is another article linked below that discuses some of the pros and cons with the FV3 right now.  Although it is scoring better than the GFS there are understandably a lot of worries about making it the official American model.   It has a tendency to over amp storms especially in the mid range.  In watching it this winter I would say it is much more consistent that the GFS in that it does not bounce around from run to run.  In terms of actual weather and results I am not sure any model should have too much confidence placed in it. Even the HRRR has been tripping up this year.  These scores are World scores in that it is for weather all over the globe.  When it comes down to forecasting North Eastern US snow storms  the Farmers almanac is probably in the running for the best.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/10/noaa-is-about-to-make-some-big-changes-to-its-global-weather-model/

Well the 12Z Euro basically held serve...maybe a tad less but if anything the max's are north in Central PA.  Still on for 4-8" snowfall for most in PA.  At this point the GFS should probably be questioned. 

Should see Winter Storm Watches this afternoon as they totals are just the snow side...additional ice on top. 

Euro snow depth which is the best predictor of accumulation for me...the snow maps are too spotty.   Note that areas north of the LSV already have snow on the ground so this is most useful, for this storm, for the LSV.  General 6-8"  for NW LSV when done. 4-6 most of the rest of the LSV...a tad less far east.   Lots of ice afterwards. 

image.png.54f9123a958e6532add9a325088c0eda.png

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Euro looks to be a 3-6” storm for basically the entire subforum. Gets heavier the more W/SWyou go. MDT around 4” or so I’d guess. Laurels and MAG highest.

This run is slower to push the early heavier precip our way and pushes the warm air aloft in faster so we changeover earlier in the afternoon.  A couple inches whether it ends up being 2” or 6”+ then ice is going to be messy regardless.  The cold will hold at the surface but no way it holds aloft - much like last week’s event.  Our high for Thursday is currently 47 - fresh snow and ice is not going to let it reach that.  NWS doesn’t seem to have much confidence in how much precip the NAM drops across southern PA in a short period of time.  They also seem to be holding off on any watches because of the GFS/GEFS/SREFs

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Whoops, I jumped the gun on the snow map.  Checked it before the snow was done.  6-8" for much of the LSV for 4-6 for rest...lollipop of 8-12 over Cashtown.   Some of this may be sleet but NWS should be safe calling for 5+ plus region wide for the whole Susquehanna valley. 

image.png.7ebf964e13cd15dea51407762de41022.png

can you help me out with timing? I orginally thought late Tuesday, but now i think Wednesday morning. 

13 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

can you help me out with timing? I orginally thought late Tuesday, but now i think Wednesday morning. 

On the road but I was thinking wed am as well.  Last time I looked at it specifically I would have guess 8 to 10am in Harrisburg but did not look at timing on the euro if is slowed down a bit like djr mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Somerset-Johnstown-Altoona-Chambersburg 3-5” with localized 7” and with 0.1-0.2” ice

Harrisburg - Hershey - Carlisle - York - Lancaster and surrounding area 3-5” with up to 0.25” ice 

@Voyager ‘s Schuylkill snow hole - 2-4” and up to 0.25” ice

edit - sorry accidentally deleted that this was from the WSW text

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Somerset-Johnstown-Altoona-Chambersburg 3-5” with localized 7” and with 0.1-0.2” ice

Harrisburg - Hershey - Carlisle - York - Lancaster and surrounding area 3-5” with up to 0.25” ice 

serious question as i know you keep records. When was the last time we were to get .25 ice and we got it? seems like a long time ago we had .25 of ice

46 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Glad we have another predict.  Hated being the only one.   I might make a final call tonight after I see 12z Nam's thoughts precip type/how much intrusion of warm air especially down here.

36 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Glad we have another predict.  Hated being the only one.   I might make a final call tonight after I see 12z Nam's thoughts precip type/how much intrusion of warm air especially down here.

Oops couldn’t get it to paste right so it deleted the start of what my message had when I deleted it but that was from the text for the WSW