Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

2 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

There are some shades to last Tuesday's storm with regards to the Wednesday event progged. There is a fairly decent high progged, although in this present case it seems the high may help keep the best precip more south in our region. I guess that's what ended up happening to a degree with Tuesday's system as well, where the best precipitation ended up in the western and southern portions of PA. This system doesn't have a very defined low pressure center progged right now though like the last one, so we could be talking more of a defined QPF difference as the best precip may get into the southern tier and push out instead of up. Models do show an initial push of precip over pretty much the whole area so not talking anyone getting shut out. 

The warm push aloft seems more defined with this system, at least at 850mb. We lose 850mb pretty easily after perhaps some front end snow. Like last time though, the 925mb level holds fast, esp in the central counties but it holds up awhile in the LSV too. So this is likely to be another messy event on tap for us in the p-type department. This winter is starting to remind me of the late 90s(esp 98-99) and 2007-2008, 2008-2009.. where it seemed like we couldn't buy a clean snow event. And those were La-Nina winters. I still think late month and getting into March is where we're going to see if our MJO/SOI influence in the favorable phases has legs. Knocking back a SE ridge isn't necessarily an immediate thing and it especially isn't so when the western trough remains a big player. That we have opportunities for non-rain precipitation this week should be considered a win. 

The SOI daily contribution number today was -24. That makes it 6 days in a row this week that the SOI has been a double digit negative number, including 3 days that were over -20 or better, & 2 other days that were -19. 

Most models are showing the MJO taking a slow track through phase 8 & the Euro is taking it into phase 1 later this month.

Most of the time there is about a 1 week or so lag until the effects of the SOI & MJO impact our pattern in North America.

Do you guys think that the EPS & GEFS will respond to these impacts over the next few days & show a better pattern for late February & early March ?

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Tomorrow Evenings storm looks like it is a little more robust.

Yea, on the NAM TT snow maps show 2-4" but I would think it would mostly be ice.  A healthy .25 to .5 qpf.  Time for a WWA.  Just checked the column and can see 500MB is probably too warm for snow when the qpf is here.  This convo is specific to tomorrow night. 

Well the 12Z Nam does not appear to be routing out the cold air as quickly for mid week.  Moderate snow has already invaded the S/W part of the LSV at 84 and it appears to be advancing.  A big snow in Central VA.  6-10" there.  Question in extrapolating will be whether  the energy and WAA that produced the MECS down there will die out a bit as it runs into drier air.  Next model out goes farther in time and I connot wait to see it! 

The 0z Euro improved the front end thump of snow on Wednesday. It brought in heavy precip shortly after the onset around 7-8 am for the LSV. Then the mixing with sleet & freezing rain begins in the afternoon on Wednesday & ice continues until evening. 

Here are the 0z Euro regular 10-1  & Kuchera snow maps. I would sign up for 4-8 inches of snow on Wednesday in the LSV !

3B1B18DF-FBAB-4F24-A6C9-905E12352816.png

0586CB4F-C3A6-4B5D-8DE5-1A57B191BB70.png

• Like 1

Today’s daily SOI contribution was -29 . This makes 7 days in a row that it has been negative & this is the best number yet this week.

The pattern should respond by next week to the SOI impact. Also, the MJO phase 8 & 1 should help improve our pattern towards the end of the month & into early March.

• Like 1

The 12z NAM brings a solid wintry mix to CTP by late afternoon or early evening. The snow maps for the NAM always run high, but it did trend colder with more snow than the 6z run, for what it’s worth.

CTP, for tonight, put up an advisory for mixed precip for up to an inch of snow in the LSV, with more to the north. 

B13D7CEB-A85A-4F6D-9C7F-CD250B456B1C.png

FA5D2467-0A63-4CCB-91D0-2F224AD97324.png

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z NAM brings a solid wintry mix to CTP by late afternoon or early evening. The snow maps for the NAM always run high, but it did trend colder with more snow than the 6z run, for what it’s worth.

CTP, for tonight, put up an advisory for mixed precip for up to an inch of snow in the LSV, with more to the north. 

I would bet this snow map is more realty than 1-3" area wide.  More ice.  

image.thumb.png.3698541bcf421fb29c4c9a7e87767d94.png

image.thumb.png.a956b548c7bbdb1e55c62a04b39707ad.png

3 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

What's the kuchera say. Cant trust a 10:1 ratio map especially when you guys are dealing with CAD. I fully expect my area to feel the effects of the warm tongue on this one. 

Here is the 12z Euro Kuchera ratio map. Those 9’s around Harrisburg should be 6’s. 

@psuhoffman just had a good post in the Mid Atlantic forum basically saying that, for  this storm, it may be better to trust the 10-1 ratio maps instead of Kuchera.

E088F359-8DB0-43FA-B5AD-431745CCE342.png

16 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Hard to tell with the NAM clown maps on TT but would guess 18Z is 6-10" of snow for much of PA followed by major sleet.  

I always prefer all snow events, but I'd be happy with that scenario.  I haven't seen a good sleet storm in quite a few years.