Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, we need to first figure out the possible 2 events this weekend. There is the chance of back to back events this weekend for many of us. 

The MJO is heading to the phase 8 & 1.

The SOI is crashing. Today it hit -23 Yesterday it was -19.

This coming week should be fun, & the rest of the month into early March could be a great period of winter weather !

Sure hope we can get a few weeks of sustained winter before we head into spring.  

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Freezing rain in Harrisburg - coating on most every untreated surface now.

yeah i just saw this as well no one foretasted this. most of this was going to be over by 6 cad stayed strong enough even tho the primary storm was way west.

It eventually did rain here for a little while earlier this evening. Totals ended up being the numbers I posted earlier. Not too much in the way of ice accrual occurred except a bit on some of the slushier back roads. Didn't really do anything to what was already an insanely dense pack with all the sleet that fell. Front has went through a bit ago and it's back to snowing here with winds increasing. 

Onward to our next potential events. This system at the end of the week has turned into pretty much a frontal passage with not much in the way of precip associated with it. That resets the boundary and we have the next potential system of snowy consequence following for the weekend (Sat). That one looks south, we may end up throwing the Mid-Atlantic a bone with that one. Although, the 0z Euro leaves some leeway for a bit of snow to the far southern tier of PA and the Canadian is blazing a path way north with precip and snow for mason-dixon line north in most of PA. Immediately following in the active storm pattern is another system on the fabled P-Day holiday. GFS/Euro have a low just south of PA right now with varying results. 0z Euro doesn't have much precip where it would support snow, having a light swath of snowfall running the I-80 corridor. GFS had a good bit more precip to offer. 

Def lots of chances in this pattern coming up. If we lessen the western trough's influence and stay on the right side of the gradient we could go on a run. The 0z Euro shows how things could be uncooperative and us on the wrong side of the gradient, dumping another huge trough into the western US, which raises eastern heights D8-10. Not saying it's right, just pointing it out. The MJO should provide a positive influence soon if it doesn't screw around in P7 and actually traverses right into 8. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatheadsickness said:

I was gifted with a pretty decent internal barometer gifted to me from the big kahuna on Feb 18 1979 . Its not perfect but it holds up better than computers inside 48 most and the time. My internal barometer bottoms out at headache and foot pain preceding the big ones followed by an intense  hyperactivity  and many other small ques i am not going to talk about today I get proceeding storms and pattern changes . Laugh all you want fellows there is research out there supporting people born during extreme LP's may develop hypersensitivity's to weather changes. I sure did . It dosent tell me if I am in the Bulls eye but it dose alert to changes and and storms in formation or approaching the Mid Atlantic. For those who never have noticed you can Smell a warm Sector and the approach of a cold front its Ionic on you receptors. Leaves on trees turn over from strong lift in the summer. Many Species of mycorrhiza and there mushrooms I hunt for react  proceeding and fallowing the weather in very interesting ways. In fact I see a future for organic based bio computers channeling the secret mycorrhiza hold in forecasting the weather. At that point we will be truly moveing foward with forecasting but computers by them self along with a society that is complete loosing there connection with nature is not working well.   

I too enjoy mushrooms. And acorns.

• Haha 1

Radar shows some snow showers off to the west but I was just out walking my dog three quick waves of 10 to 20 seconds of sleet just fell out my way. Clears and whites I call the whites perlite.snow looks like mini hail stones I see something that lloks like it alot during heavy rains and thunderstorms in the summer

DSC01957.JPG

DSC01963.JPG

Yes it was very impressive to watch on radar yeaterday it was textbook explanation for how the apps play into cad . I personly thought the stubbornness of the cold air was very impressive the whole storm given the position of the LP. The storm as a whole looked like a beast.   

7 hours ago, pasnownut said:

We know that CAD deals often "overpreform" and this one fits that description for sure.  We were to hit 37 today and maxed out at 34.  Ice is getting crunchy here as well and trees never lost ice from today, even though we did get above for a while.  Still close enough to keep it.  Guess thats a + for living east of the Apps.

20 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Never had that “warm up” overnight that was expected with the front - Temp stayed 32-33F all night here.  

everything is ice. i was thinking about you this am up on the hill and all the trees. 

I saw last evening on FB someone was bitching about the school having a 2 hour delay. at that point we still had freezing rain. 

1 hour ago, Flatheadsickness said:

Just came to post some pics I thought .Anyways thank to all you fellows that don't insult my intelligence or at least keep it to your self. Its ok from Atom because My nanny like his style.  I hope we get three in a row +1 or 2   

Can you please stop. 

3 hours ago, Flatheadsickness said:

Just came to post some pics I thought .Anyways thank to all you fellows that don't insult my intelligence or at least keep it to your self. Its ok from Atom because My nanny like his style.  I hope we get three in a row +1 or 2   

If we get 3-5 more storms we will soon start hearing news stories about local township budgets busting due to salt and overtime costs.  An annual tradition of a snowy winter around here.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Then they should let the roads go for the little ones and save it for the big ones 

:lol:

LOL.  So the issue for me with that is the schools.  If they let the roads go then the schools should automatically cancel.   There should not be any grinding of teeth as to whether they go or not...snow covered road?  School is cancelled.

15 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I see Pappa G ticked north at 12z.  

I am most interested in the Sunday/Monday storm and am disappointed that some guidance is making it a cutter again.  It appears to be doing it due to the less than desirable spacing between a Thursday/Friday Lakes cutter, Saturday's quick hitter and then Sunday/Monday...there is never a chance for a High to set up as the Saturday quickie gets pushed south by cutter from Thursday then with both of them out of the way late weekend one cuts again.  No 50/50 Low, No Block. etc...

4 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I am most interested in the Sunday/Monday storm and am disappointed that some guidance is making it a cutter again.  It appears to be doing it due to the less than desirable spacing between a Thursday/Friday Lakes cutter, Saturday's quick hitter and then Sunday/Monday...there is never a chance for a High to set up as the Saturday quickie gets pushed south by cutter from Thursday then with both of them out of the way late weekend the next one cuts again.  No 50/50 Low, No Block. etc...

@144 i am liking the tilt being more pos than neg and w/ hp in better position, I think mid next week storm might look pretty good in the next few panels.

Just extrapolating verbatim look at Pappa G so proceed w/ caution.  lol

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

@144 i am liking the tilt being more pos than neg and w/ hp in better position, I think mid next week storm might look pretty good in the next few panels.

Just extrapolating verbatim look at Pappa G so proceed w/ caution.  lol

There are so many waves on the map that it is hard to keep track of them both visually and when discussing.  Everything beyond Saturday is going to change depending on how the first two waves act and I hate to keep pushing out the timeline and saying "well wave X is going to cut but wave y is going to be our biggie in 7 days".  But yea the mid week system (Wave 4, Wave 5?) is a bit hit on the 12Z GFS.

3 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

There are so many waves on the map that it is hard to keep track of them both visually and when discussing.  Everything beyond Saturday is going to change depending on how the first two waves act and I hate to keep pushing out the timeline and saying "well wave X is going to cut but wave y is going to be our biggie in 7 days".  But yea the mid week system (Wave 4, Wave 5?) is a bit hit on the 12Z GFS.

could be a long couple days. @Flatheadsickness will be in overdrive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1