Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

That is a possibility if the slight shift of the snow to the north & east continues. The 0z NAM 3k & 12k just shifted north by 30 to 40 miles over their 18z runs. 

I’m hoping MDT can get 1 inch of snow out of this tomorrow.

And remember Blizz, those maps are 10-1 ratio.  If someone wants to counterpoint with virga and such that is a valid concern but those totals would be 1.5 to 2X higher with a 20-1.  HRRR is also juiced all of a sudden.  

33 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

And remember Blizz, those maps are 10-1 ratio.  If someone wants to counterpoint with virga and such that is a valid concern but those totals would be 1.5 to 2X higher with a 20-1.  HRRR is also juiced all of a sudden.  

Wow...the HRRR did juice up a bit.  I am now legitimately in the 2" accumulation zone....not that there's going to be that big of a difference between 1" and 2".  Although it will be super cold while it is falling.  I love watching it snow with temps in the teens.  Super fluffy and easy to remove.  

Temp wise, bottomed out around 4.8F about an hour ago and now have risen up to 6.1.  Not expecting to drop any lower since clouds will be knocking on the doorstep which will halt any further decline.

14 minutes ago, paweather said:

1-2” HRRR seems right, more snow. Let’s get through the next couple of days and temps rising to more of a southern stream attack with H’s to our north. Hopeful. Great to see winter not giving up. 

Yes! I will take 1 or 2 inches of snow tomorrow to start February off right !

After we get through a 4 or 5 day warm up, we should be back in the snow business shortly thereafter!

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

While most areas are a bit warmer than last night, we are colder. Down to -6 already.

You might have a shot at breaking it if the clouds hold off for a few more hours.  My winds completely went calm again and I've dropped 2 degrees in the past 20 minutes, down to 3.9.  Would love to hit zero again after midnight to have two days in a row with sub zero lows.  I don't know how close the clouds are to us right now.  Hope you reach -10.

9 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

You might have a shot at breaking it if the clouds hold off for a few more hours.  My winds completely went calm again and I've dropped 2 degrees in the past 20 minutes, down to 3.9.  Would love to hit zero again after midnight to have two days in a row with sub zero lows.  I don't know how close the clouds are to us right now.  Hope you reach -10.

By breaking it, you mean negative double digits right? I'm at negative 6 right now. As much as I don't like cold, I'm hoping for -10 or lower. It would only be the third time in my life experiencing negative 10 or lower.

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

By breaking it, you mean negative double digits right? I'm at negative 6 right now. As much as I don't like cold, I'm hoping for -10 or lower. It would only be the third time in my life experiencing negative 10 or lower.

Yes, hope you go lower than your -9 from Thursday morning, so -10F or lower.  I'm down to +3.4 F, so not much further for me to go to reach zero.  Looking at the obs to our west it seems that clear skies are at least going to last a few more hours.  If the winds can stay calm we'll have good radiational cooling like we had for a few hours before dawn this morning.

Mesowest station down the street right at 0ºF, my thermometer's at 2. 

Closing out January with 18" and one warning level event for the month and 31" on the season thus far. Have 23 consecutive days of snow on the ground and counting that started on Jan 9th. It was a pretty wintry month here overall. 

1 hour ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Radar looks good.  My rate and flake size has picked up the last 20 min.    Easily over 1/2” so far.    Up to 11

Still between 1/2 and 1".    During the next 4-6 hours is when we are supposed to get several inches so it is go (or no) time.  Those 1+" reports from DC were not modeled real well so nothing is off the table yet...good or bad. 

When the snow started back between 6 and 7 the temperature was 11 degrees.  That makes this event the coldest temp with snow falling since the Feb 2003 snow storm (iirc) for me here.  Jan '96 was the absolute coldest when the snow started with a temp of 8 degrees.  Like everyone else the snow is super fine and has accumulated close to 0.5" so far.  Temp slowly rising, now up to 13.5 degrees.  Totally calm and quiet out there.

• Like 1