Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I ended up with around 3 in Marysville.

The Euro was locked in on this one for several days.

MDT recorded 3.6 through the 5 pm daily update, & will probably add on another .5 or so that came down after 5pm before ending in the last hour or so.

Very nice light to moderate event for all !

So I guess MDT is going to ignore the snow that fell between 5pm & 6pm yesterday?

The final overnight daily climate summary still shows 3.6 for yesterday.

They show .03 of precip recorded at the 6pm hourly Observation, with still .25 mile visibility snow.

So, there should be at the very least, another .3 of additional snow that fell After 5 pm that should get added to the overall daily total, if not a little more due to the higher ratio.

Sometimes they end up changing these things the next day. If not, I would be curious to see if they missed it somehow or otherwise what reasoning they are using ?

Djr is that all you recorded? At 530 when we went out to shovel, my brother I law who lives next store said he just measured 3.5, I didn’t measure because he did. 

@bubbler86 it laid on our streets, they came through and plowed. I had more on my driveway and sidewalks though.

10 degrees this morning. I’m assuming the wind kept it from going lower.

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The Arctic front today should bring a good snow squall through the region. This cold & wind is going to be brutal as well.

The 6z GFS is making the Friday morning light snow event a little more interesting, & brings 2-3 inches of snow to most of us.

Blizz, I would gladly give up this 2-3" if the rest of the GFS, and its 5-6" of rain over the next 10 days, can also be thrown out! 

Did anyone read this morning's AFD? Pretty interesting (and cool) stuff going on with this weather event.

Still mainly clear in the east, so some sunshine will help
destabilize things there. That will likely serve to make the
snow showers/squalls more intense there. Might even be a CG or
two with CAPE nearing 100J in the east between 10AM-1PM. Most
likely place for thundersnow is near wind turbines. CAPE will be
nearly nil for the western half of the CWA due to early
passage.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bubbler86 said:

Blizz, I would gladly give up this 2-3" if the rest of the GFS, and its 5-6" of rain over the next 10 days, can also be thrown out! 

Fv3 looks notably less wet than its dad does.  Furthermore....op runs beyond 7 day rule. :)

daddyo

gfs_apcpn_us_52.png

new kid on da block

fv3p_apcpn_us_64.png

My goal for next week is to find a way to keep some snowpack in Pa.  Likely not gonna work down here, but its gonna be friggin cold for days, and I'm just not convinced that we go from arctic tundra to torch so easily.  Its gonna happen, but I feel the effects will be muted as we get closer.  The bigger concern is how quickly we can get red blobs to turn blue around here (500 mb).

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

It's always darkest...err...coldest right before the dawn. Temp dropped to +3 degrees with excellent radiational cooling this morning.

i was surprised to see -2 just outside of etown this morning.

winds died off quicker than i expected, and so did the thermo's.

Its going to be a cold couple days.  Frostline is getting deep already (my son works in excavating-said they have to chisel top to get down below - and that was last week already.  This cold may suspend operations for a bit. 

Squall was pretty intense, although short-lived. Whiteout conditions put down a quick .25 and covered the roads. Went from 1.4º at 6:15am to high of 16º at 9:15. A bit surprised by the quick rise ahead of the front. Temps are now headed down.

Pretty sure that view of the IST building posted by snjókoma would have been total white at the height of the squall. I could barely see across the street here.

3 hours ago, sauss06 said:

Djr is that all you recorded? At 530 when we went out to shovel, my brother I law who lives next store said he just measured 3.5, I didn’t measure because he did. 

@bubbler86 it laid on our streets, they came through and plowed. I had more on my driveway and sidewalks though.

10 degrees this morning. I’m assuming the wind kept it from going lower.

2.4" is the max I recorded - could very well have been my south facing hillside climate that with such little liquid content I had some minor melting occurring during the afternoon while it was falling that I just never found a spot with more. 

• Like 1