Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

1 hour ago, Chicago WX said:

Just received word that we’re a no go tomorrow too. Friday is gonna suck, but at least I won’t get frostbite in 5 minutes. :D

maybe i'll go pick mine up tommorow to help my guy out. Nothing but respect for those postal folks.

Looks like ORD is still -15 at 7pm.  Need the winds to start lightening up, as there really isn't any significantly colder air to advect from elsewhere.

RFD down to -19, as the winds have dropped off to 9 mph.  DPA and DKB -17.

Today is the coldest day in Rockford's history.  Daily average temp -19 (-13/-25), breaking the old record of -18.5 (-14/-23) on 1/18/1994. And the record could be broken even more if RFD drops below -25 before midnight.

image.thumb.png.6db16b5a15ce90e91f3afcc8f1427770.png

It is amazing to see the NWS have all time STATE lowest temperatures in their official forecast. I found some places on the point and click map with a low of -37F. This is an incredible event. 

I won't see quite as ridiculous temps where I live but Peoria is supposed to tie their all time low temp at -27F.

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

The wife and I saw a couple of flocks of robins last Saturday, including a dead one on the road. I have never seen robins here in January in my 61 years. I don't know what to make of it.

I haven't either, but I have read that not all fly south for the winter.  A number go deeper into forests in our region rather than suburban areas in the winter.  That's why I've heard naturalists say that the red winged blackbird returning is a better sign of the approaching spring rather than the robin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question for a meteorologist or an expert. Why is it in a wind chill advisory that they don't mention it as a possibility of being life threatening?

Wind Chill Warning: The combination of very cold and the wind will result in dangerously low wind chill values. Frostbite can occur quickly and these conditions could even lead to hypothermia or death if proper precautions are not taken.

Wind Chill Advisory: Very cold air and strong winds will combine to generate low wind chill values. This will result in frostbite and lead to hypothermia if precautions are not taken. 

Like why doesn't it say in a wind chill advisory something like this?That this could result in frostbite, could lead to hypothermia, or could be life threatening if precautions are not taken. 

I am just curious. 

6 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

O’Hare not budging from -16 the wind is still up tying or breaking the record going to be tough 

Yep. Still 10 hours of cooling time, but I think the winds need to diminish by midnight at both RFD and ORD in order to have a shot at the record. 

-23 at ARR with 5 mph winds. 

-20 at FEP with 3 mph winds...I figured it would be colder there by now.