Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

11 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I'm feeling something I've not felt in five years (1/2014)...there's a definite chill to the air in my apartment as, after doing well at the outset, my electric heating unit is now struggling to keep up with the cold permeating the walls of the building. I'm glad I kept my long johns on, and I'll be breaking out an extra blanket tonight.

Thank goodness this cold blast, as intense as it is, won't last for weeks on end like that one did. My power bills were astronomical that winter.

I find it amusing that the CPC hazards outlook has us in much below normal temps for 2/1-2/2, when this deep freeze will actually be breaking.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/threats/threats.php

Link must have updated because I don't see anything there about temps for 2/1-2/2

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Yea, there's a few check points I have in mind to break the record or hit -30.

20z RAP shows -21 at 9 pm and -25 at midnight, then bottoming at -32 at 7 am. 

On paper, it seems like ORD has a good shot at the record. Assuming -14 at 4 pm, it needs to drop one degree per hour over the following 15 hours in order to hit -29.

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Probably a couple reasons why ORD is colder than MLI: west winds covering less of a snow field before arriving at MLI, and H85 temps are a bit warmer at MLI. 

Did you hit a wind chill of -50F? We bottomed out at -3F with a wind chill of -24F. I went outside and walked a mile in it and it made my face numb. It didn't sting but those winds were stiff. In fact when I was walking on my deck it felt like it was going to collapse. It was cold but pretty balmy compared to what a lot of you had last night.

Hi all!

Killing the records here..

KBTL

For today. 1-30-19

Coldest high temp is 8 set in 1951. Record low is -13 in 1951

For tomorrow. 1-31-19

Coldest high temp is 10 set in 1900. Record low is -10 set in 1899

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Battle Creek 5NW.

For today. 1-30-19

Coldest high temp is 12 set in 1977. Record low is -2 in 1977

For tomorrow. 1-31-19

Coldest high temp is 8 set in 1971. Record low is -7 set in 1996

______________________________________________________________________________________________

So far today the high is -1 and the low is -12 at KBTL.. Coldest wind chill has been -40. Wont know about the other station Battle Creek 5nw till after midnight.

Currently -12 at KBTL.. Brrrr

Curious to see what it gets down to here.  Typically radiate better than ORD but they have about twice the snowcover and will have a little head start.  Factoring those things together along with similar positioning relative to the surface high would suggest a similar outcome.  Really hoping for a -30 somehow.

Up to -14 ORD as of last OBS, which will likely be the high for daytime hours...though the actual high will be the midnight temp of -10.

The first checkpoint I want to see for -30 is -15 by 6PM OBS...which realistically shouldn't be hard given where things are right now.

I'm kind of rooting for Sterling to be the coldest site tonight, as it's just a little up the river.  Everything seems to be lining up about perfectly, as the ridge will be nearly overhead so to speak around daybreak.  Simulated satellite forecasts show clouds moving in around that time, so it may be cutting it close.  MLI may have cloud issues before sunrise, but it's possible they stay clear till dawn.  

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi all!

Killing the records here..

KBTL

For today. 1-30-19

Coldest high temp is 8 set in 1951. Record low is -13 in 1951

For tomorrow. 1-31-19

Coldest high temp is 10 set in 1900. Record low is -10 set in 1899

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Battle Creek 5NW.

For today. 1-30-19

Coldest high temp is 12 set in 1977. Record low is -2 in 1977

For tomorrow. 1-31-19

Coldest high temp is 8 set in 1971. Record low is -7 set in 1996

______________________________________________________________________________________________

So far today the high is -1 and the low is -12 at KBTL.. Coldest wind chill has been -40. Wont know about the other station Battle Creek 5nw till after midnight.

Currently -12 at KBTL.. Brrrr

The lake really ruins low temps.... but that LES makes up for it.

I'm in Baldwin right now at a pizza joint.... about to gear up for the 75 mile ride to the truck on my sled. I'm sick in the head.

Only -2F here. -12 at my house right now in Howell.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

First time I've seen this this late in the winter.  Just saw 2 huge flocks of about 200 cranes each flying south at about 3k feet.  A new species Procrastenarious Craneous lol? 

The wife and I saw a couple of flocks of robins last Saturday, including a dead one on the road. I have never seen robins here in January in my 61 years. I don't know what to make of it.

• Confused 1