Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

37 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

We'll have to pull up the January 2014 thread to see what the coldest Chicago noon temps are.  I think today's -18 at ORD may be the 2nd or 3rd coldest all-time?

It ranks up there for sure.  It's not the easiest thing to search for since you basically have to pick out notorious cold days and see what the noon temp was, unless there is some way to search by time of day.  

The -18 reading is colder than the noon temp on 1/20/1985, which was -17.  It was -21 at noon on 1/10/1982!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

We'll have to pull up the January 2014 thread to see what the coldest Chicago noon temps are.  I think today's -18 at ORD may be the 2nd or 3rd coldest all-time?

The coldest noon temp of the 2014 cold was 1/6, with a noon temp of -14.

This time noon temp was -18, which makes it the second coldest noon temp on record...only behind -21 on 1/10/1982.

• Like 1

Rockford had a midnight temp of -16, but it has now warmed up to -15 at 1pm central. All time record low max is -14 on 1/18/1994 and 1/6/1924...which will probably hold. 

It looks like the coldest daily mean temp at Rockford is -18.5 on 1/18/1994 (high -14, low -23). That has a good chance of being broken. Just need today’s high temp to not go above -13, or it needs to drop below -25 prior to midnight. 

A Detroit area gas compresser owned by consumers energy started on fire today and they are now asking customers to conserve gas useage in southeast mi.https://www.wnem.com/news/consumers-energy-is-asking-that-customer-voluntarily-reduce-gas-usage/article_24350dd4-24c4-11e9-8689-c36559e0449b.html?fbclid=IwAR3y6Y2-6NHMqw-TgFicRAA37GKS3k2PcfPRuMT2mvEuXNCwHZWfxJFPDl8

• Like 1

The lack of a bigger rise around Chicago metro is a bit interesting.  Most of that area has only come up about 6 degrees from morning lows so far, not just ORD.  CAA did occur through 7-8 am or so, but evidently it's been difficult to flip the switch to quicker warming. 

The wind chill at MLI fell 2 degrees short of the old record of -54.  Was hoping they'd beat that, and then beat the low max record.  If they fail to achieve a new all-time record tonight this will end up being pretty disappointing overall.  Would still be a very impressive arctic outbreak, but definitely wouldn't be as noteworthy as it could have. 

For tonight I'm most excited to see how Sterling/Rochelle/Dekalb/Aurora do.

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The lack of a bigger rise around Chicago metro is a bit interesting.  Most of that area has only come up about 6 degrees from morning lows so far, not just ORD.  CAA did occur through 7-8 am or so, but evidently it's been difficult to flip the switch to quicker warming. 

Probably a couple reasons why ORD is colder than MLI: west winds covering less of a snow field before arriving at MLI, and H85 temps are a bit warmer at MLI. 

37 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Probably a couple reasons why ORD is colder than MLI: west winds covering less of a snow field before arriving at MLI, and H85 temps are a bit warmer at MLI. 

I was thinking about the snow cover, but there is significant snowcover extending west of Des Moines so I sort of dismissed that.  Could be right though.  Maybe some combination of factors like the longer distance to travel over the snowcover and CAA aloft ceasing later in Chicago metro.

I'm feeling something I've not felt in five years (1/2014)...there's a definite chill to the air in my apartment as, after doing well at the outset, my electric heating unit is now struggling to keep up with the cold permeating the walls of the building. I'm glad I kept my long johns on, and I'll be breaking out an extra blanket tonight.

Thank goodness this cold blast, as intense as it is, won't last for weeks on end like that one did. My power bills were astronomical that winter.

I find it amusing that the CPC hazards outlook has us in much below normal temps for 2/1-2/2, when this deep freeze will actually be breaking.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/threats/threats.php