• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

Haven't gone out yet but will soon to try and start the car. Attempted to make the infamous instant snow video from the balcony. It kinda worked but would've worked better if I stepped out in the open. Shot at -22F WC of -50F.

Hope everyone that has to be out in the elements stays safe through tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/9cgTv1nf5Ac

Well, survived the first leg of this arctic blast. At 2:45 AM my car sputtered, whined and groaned but did eventually start. The belt screamed like a banshee for about 30 seconds and then went quiet (it always squeaks at least a little on startup any time it's below about 40 degrees, my previous car did that too).

Now we'll see if I can get home today and then back in tomorrow morning. Not going outside for any other reason until at least noon tomorrow (it'll still suck then, but will no longer be at such dangerous wind chill extremes).

Chicago will destroy 3 of these 4 daily records, and may break the 4th one:

Jan 30:  low -15 (1966); low max 3 (2004)

Jan 31:  low -12 (1985); low max 1 (1971) 

It also looks like today will be the 2nd coldest daily mean temp in Chicago history:

12/24/1983:  -18 (-11/-25)

1/30/2019:  -16.5 (-10/-23)

1/18/1994:  -16 (-11/-21)

Edited to correct today's low at ORD, to -23.

5 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Chicago will destroy 3 of these 4 daily records, and may break the 4th one:

Jan 30:  low -15 (1966); low max 3 (2004)

Jan 31:  low -12 (1985); low max 1 (1971) 

It also looks like today will be the 2nd coldest daily mean temp in Chicago history:

12/24/1983:  -18 (-11/-25)

1/30/2019:  -17 (-10/-24)

1/18/1994:  -16 (-11/-21)

Impressive. 

My work came to their senses and cancelled delivery today. I am thrilled. :D

As for tomorrow morning, number to shoot for at IKK is -29˚....the all time coldest "officially" recorded here (back in Jan 1985). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Impressive. 

My work came to their senses and cancelled delivery today. I am thrilled. :D

As for tomorrow morning, number to shoot for at IKK is -29˚....the all time coldest "officially" recorded here (back in Jan 1985). 

Great to hear!  This is really an impressive airmass, something I honesty never thought I would see in this area.

ORD is still -21 at 10 AM central. RFD -22, De Kalb -23.

12 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We dialed into the ASOS and ORD officially got down to -23 this AM. The -24 was due to a rounding issue on the 5 minute obs site.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification! 

Still very impressive; today will go down as the 2nd coldest day in Chicago history (-16.5 daily mean temp).

• Like 1

Tomorrow morning kinda looks like the morning of 1/19/1994, but shifted northwest since the surface high is farther north this time.  So if you take a look at what happened in central/southern IN that morning, it may be a decent guide to what happens in northern IL, but even colder potential.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Tomorrow morning kinda looks like the morning of 1/19/1994, but shifted northwest since the surface high is farther north this time.  So if you take a look at what happened in central/southern IN that morning, it may be a decent guide to what happens in northern IL, but even colder potential.

Agree...that's a good way to look at it. 

Just need to watch for high clouds coming in with the next clipper...but, even so, temps will still have a long time to crash before that.