Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

21 minutes ago, Stebo said:

That blower still blows on the forced air heaters, electric companies are cleaning up along with the gas.

I had electric baseboard heat in college in a relatively new apartment I might add, it is garbage and extremely expensive.

In on of my college apartments, I was responsible for the power bill only, and also had electric baseboard heaters. When it got cold, I would crank the hot water in the shower and sauna it up to heat the place. 

House sounds like rice crispies with the creaking and popping going on. I am concerned the hot tub on the back deck is going to be in trouble. We don’t drain it during the winter as we like to use it, but it’s bever been put to this kind of test. In theory, 104 degree water should be circulating through all the pipes. We shall see. Now that hot tub runs on 220v electric, so if you listen carefully, you can probably hear my meter spinning. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

In on of my college apartments, I was responsible for the power bill only, and also had electric baseboard heaters. When it got cold, I would crank the hot water in the shower and sauna it up to heat the place. 

House sounds like rice crispies with the creaking and popping going on. I am concerned the hot tub on the back deck is going to be in trouble. We don’t drain it during the winter as we like to use it, but it’s bever been put to this kind of test. In theory, 104 degree water should be circulating through all the pipes. We shall see. Now that hot tub runs on 220v electric, so if you listen carefully, you can probably hear my meter spinning. 

Sir, where were you in my college days! :lmao:

8 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

The popping sounds have actually startled me a couple times, lol. 

Toledo's other lowest wind-chill days, as far as I can remember, were Jan 18, 1994, and Jan 6, 2014. I've commented on Jan 6 2014 recently with the anniversary of the storm (blizzard or near-blizzard at Toledo) Here are some surface charts of these extreme events. As far as 500mb goes, I think this is a lot like the Jan 10, 1982 cold air blast. On January 10, 1982, I lived in Wisconsin for a roughly -60 wind chill (considering the new wind chill scale) and the Chargers and Bengals played the 2nd coldest NFL game on record in Cincinnati. As you can see on the third chart, there were -35C 850mb temperatures in Iowa. That -35C is happening right now at Davenport.

January 6 2014

dXbod20.gif

January 18, 1994

GLHK6Vt.gif

January 10, 1982

3bJPQDw.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Just had a mini pixie dust snow squall roll through. I just can’t get over these winds. Can hear my flag flapping around. 

Temps here are going into the negatives and wind chills of -21F. Wind chills may bottom out at -24F or -25F. I went for a walk for about 10 minutes outside and for a minute walking into the wind. It was cold and it made my face numb. 

Just now, Knightking2018 said:

Temps here are going into the negatives and wind chills of -21F. Wind chills may bottom out at -24F or -25F. I went for a walk for about 10 minutes outside and for a minute walking into the wind. It was cold and it made my face numb. 

Winds are howling around 20 mph in my area. 

Coldest reading in Canada at 09z was again Key Lake SK -46.6 C (-52 F). Coldest in Manitoba is Norway House at north end of Lake Winnipeg, -44 C (-47 F). 

Lighter winds now around Winnipeg and unlike earlier in the 25 mph northerly, an urban heat island effect is noticeable. -39 C at YWG essentially rural on western edge, -34 C downtown. That's -38 and -29 in F. 

Reporting this because that high will be over Iowa tomorrow night so that similar differentials may apply around Chicago and other nearby cities. The -52 F reading is slightly to the west of the high center as analyzed. 

I recall the 1994 cold spell, we got it full blast in Ontario too, had an overnight reading of -40. Similar cold in Jan 1976 around 22nd-23rd. 

For southern Ontario, however, nothing matches the Feb 8-9 1934 cold (-46 in Bancroft) and Lake Ontario froze over completely, the only time in the 20th century that happened. Lake Superior ice is rapidly advancing from shorelines according to latest ice maps and some coverage now in sheltered parts of northern Lakes Michigan and Huron. 

• Like 2

-24/-52 at Peru. We might make a run to at least tie our all-time record low of -26 if we can drop 2 more degrees before the low occurs in 90 minutes or so.  Will almost certainly do so tomorrow night.

I knew it was coming, I just don't know I ever fully expected it to live up to the forecast. This is gonna be one to remember.