• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

-25 with a -55 windchill. Went outside for a few minutes, didn’t take long at all to feel cold with 3 layers on. It just goes right through you. My exposed face was very uncomfortable facing the wind immediately, I could tell that I’d have big problems if outside for 10 minutes or more. It’s dangerous out there right now. 

This really is putting that 2014 Jan outbreak to shame.  The way the temps just keep steadily falling with such wind blowing is pretty amazing.  Temp is now down to -16, and the winds are gusting over 30mph.  Normally for it to get this cold it has to be near calm.  This may be the most impressive weather event I've ever seen.  Still another 7-8hrs of temp decline to go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Secondary Arctic surge probably literally 5 mins too late for the record tie.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Noticed that Rockford had a nice drop in the past hour.  

Too bad about ORD.  Even though the all-time record low max was missed, it is still extremely rare to have a high as cold as this one will be (only a few occurrences).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This really is putting that 2014 Jan outbreak to shame.  The way the temps just keep steadily falling with such wind blowing is pretty amazing.  Temp is now down to -16, and the winds are gusting over 30mph.  Normally for it to get this cold it has to be near calm.  This may be the most impressive weather event I've ever seen.  Still another 7-8hrs of temp decline to go.

That pocket of bitter 850 mb temps should be moving through your area right about now.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That pocket of bitter 850 mb temps should be moving through your area right about now.  

Yeah a midnight RAOB from DVN would have been pretty nice to see.  Down another degree to -17.  Really wouldn't be surprised to make a run at -30 tonight.  Tomorrow night is going to be utterly fascinating to watch as each ob comes in.  Daytime temps tomorrow shouldn't matter too much IMO, as the areas that go calm can plummet 5-10 degrees within an hour.  Last Friday night MLI was waaaay behind other ob sites as the lingering weak north wind was advecting slightly warmer air in from the IL side of the QC.  Once it went dead calm they plummeted and ended up with a new record.  The biggest impact on tomorrow night's temp potential in the favored drainage sites will be whether they can go completely calm for a decent period of time, and also remain cloud free.  Gonna have to keep an eye on that upstream cloud deck pouring in off that incoming clipper.

• Like 1

Toledo was 2 degrees at midnight. With lower temperatures in the afternoon, I believe this will break the record low max of 8 degrees. The daily record low is -5 for Toledo, so that should easily be broken by morning. This -5 record low quite a bit different from the all time record low of -20.

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah a midnight RAOB from DVN would have been pretty nice to see.  Down another degree to -17.  Really wouldn't be surprised to make a run at -30 tonight.  Tomorrow night is going to be utterly fascinating to watch as each ob comes in.  Daytime temps tomorrow shouldn't matter too much IMO, as the areas that go calm can plummet 5-10 degrees within an hour.  Last Friday night MLI was waaaay behind other ob sites as the lingering weak north wind was advecting slightly warmer air in from the IL side of the QC.  Once it went dead calm they plummeted and ended up with a new record.  The biggest impact on tomorrow night's temp potential in the favored drainage sites will be whether they can go completely calm for a decent period of time, and also remain cloud free.  Gonna have to keep an eye on that upstream cloud deck pouring in off that incoming clipper.

Agree that the daytime temps don't matter a ton for most areas, but I think it matters more for Chicago specifically.

RC, is there a good reason why the Euro is so cold during the daytime?  Should have plenty of sun, right?  You'd expect more of a recovery than what it shows, especially in urbanized Chicago metro.  
Was just looking at that how it's even colder with PM highs than 12z run was. Really not sure why it would show that signature from Chicago on west, with some spots west not getting above low -20s. Trying to think of a good physical explanation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Agree that the daytime temps don't matter a ton for most areas, but I think it matters more for Chicago specifically.

Right on.

Have a few space heaters going in the basement along the west wall to ensure the pipes that run along that side stay unfrozen.  Probably overkill, but I definitely want to error on the side of caution with this lol.

• Like 2

The temperature here is 7F with a wind chill of -12F. I went outside for about 5-10 minutes with no gloves and it made my hands go numb for a few minutes when I went back inside. I feel bad for you people up north that have a wind chill of -40F to -55F not only is it numbing but it feels like pins and needles are pricking your skin. Didn't some areas up north in the Dakotas and Minnesota have wind chills forecasted as low as -60F to -65F. This will be memorable day for a lot of people.

• Haha 1

Key Lake SK near center of the high already down to -51 F. Winnipeg, a city almost as large as MSP, has no urban heat effect at all, -38 at similar times at downtown and airport weather stations and for that matter, 50 miles out into the bald prairie. 

As to ORD record setting, this morning's eventual low will overcome urban heating also due to the wind, Thursday morning? Not as breezy, but colder setup. I foresee very similar readings the two mornings. Think the daytime high will recover to -10 anyway so that the midnight high won't be quite as harsh an outcome. Thursday max around -5, temps may rise after midnight into Friday. 

2 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Are electrical power furnaces more common in the Midwest than gas powered? Our hydro rates in Ontario are far too expensive for those to be commonplace.

Nah, they're mostly gas powered.  Either forced air or gas boilers.  The only person I know who has an electrical furnace is my nephew, and he pays a ridiculous amount for his heating bill, and the unit is fairly new.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nah, they're mostly gas powered.  Either forced air or gas boilers.  The only person I know who has an electrical furnace is my nephew, and he pays a ridiculous amount for his heating bill, and the unit is fairly new.  

That blower still blows on the forced air heaters, electric companies are cleaning up along with the gas.

I had electric baseboard heat in college in a relatively new apartment I might add, it is garbage and extremely expensive.

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

That blower still blows on the forced air heaters, electric companies are cleaning up along with the gas.

I had electric baseboard heat in college in a relatively new apartment I might add, it is garbage and extremely expensive.

Oh yeah, the blowers for forced air heat definitely eat up electricity.  Even gas boilers utilize a decent mount of electricity as they need to power the water pump(s) that drive the hot water through the system.  

Toledo was 2 degrees at midnight. With lower temperatures in the afternoon, I believe this will break the record low max of 8 degrees. The daily record low is -5 for Toledo, so that should easily be broken by morning. This -5 record low quite a bit different from the all time record low of -20.

The dew point is going to be around there so it’s certainly possible to get that record. I think Toledo finishes at -16 or -17 in the early morning hours tomorrow.

I cannot get over how windy it is, and yet these crazy numbers are achievable