Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

Just now, Chambana said:

The free fall has begun here. Just wanted to give a shoutout to first responders/truck drivers/ mail carriers etc who don’t get the day off. I will have a warm bowl of soup ready and grilled cheese tomorrow for my mail carrier. Seriously everyone, stay safe. WC already down to -20 here. 

saw some the mail service is being suspended...Western IL, Minnesota,Wisconsin...and Chicago all but said they'll make an effort don't count on it.

I’m in Fargo. Was driving back from Valley City, ND and had -26F on dash the whole way from 5-5:45. I’m taking my truck battery into the hotel tonight. I’m not sure it’ll have enough CCA at -35f to start with no block heater.

3 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

ORD and RFD need to start dropping fast. -4 and -6 at 8:00 PM. Need to get to -12 and -15 by midnight to have a chance at the all time coldest max tomorrow. 

yup. thought the same. cold numbers always struggle to verify.

6 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

ORD and RFD need to start dropping fast. -4 and -6 at 8:00 PM. Need to get to -12 and -15 by midnight to have a chance at the all time coldest max tomorrow. 

ORD was -6 at 8:30. Everything is on track.

The coldest push of air is incoming. Its coming in waves... -10's entering NW. Illinois now, -20's in SE. Minnesota now.

I think there's a very good possibility of -40 in northern IL Thursday morning at one of the favored spots as long as high clouds don't move in quicker than expected. Though I did forecast -26 at ORD Thursday morning, I'm somewhat doubting that it will actually break the all time record coldest. Hopefully I'm wrong. I think RFD has a better chance, could certainly do it tomorrow morning, but if not Thursday AM looks primed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

I think there's a very good possibility of -40 in northern IL Thursday morning at one of the favored spots as long as high clouds don't move in quicker than expected. Though I did forecast -26 at ORD Thursday morning, I'm somewhat doubting that it will actually break the all time record coldest. Hopefully I'm wrong. I think RFD has a better chance, could certainly do it tomorrow morning, but if not Thursday AM looks primed.

Amount of recovery tomorrow will be important.  Got to have as cold of a starting point as possible tomorrow night.  A radiational cooling setup is not the way you'd draw up breaking the all-time record low for Chicago, but normal rules sort of go out the window if the high can't get much above -15.

• Like 1

Amount of recovery tomorrow will be important.  Got to have as cold of a starting point as possible tomorrow night.  A radiational cooling setup is not the way you'd draw up breaking the all-time record low for Chicago, but normal rules sort of go out the window if the high can't get much above -15.
That's one of the reasons I went as close as I did to the record there Thursday morning, only have a PM high of -15 forecast. Thinking it should fall short in the advection cold tomorrow morning but it could be close there too, I went with -24.