Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was at the store to get a few things and you would think a big snowstorm was on the way.  People seem to be taking it seriously.

It will probably be your most coldest wind chill you ever felt. It will probably feel like -50F in your area tomorrow. It will feel like -20F in my area though not as cold frostbite can occur in 20 to 30 minutes.

My boss would love to close our store tomorrow, but since we’re part of a chain of stores, it’s not his decision to make. Hell, his bosses are trying to get him to drive from Chicago to Milwaukee tomorrow for a meeting!

Luckily, I’m scheduled off tomorrow. But I’m praying for any coworkers that decide to venture out in this stuff.

4 hours ago, fluoronium said:

The -36ºF at Congerville is considered the official record. From the IL State Climatologist Website:

https://www.isws.illinois.edu/statecli/General/averages.htm

Luckily Sterling and it looks like Aurora have been upgraded to ASOS since then.  One or both look to have a shot at exceeding -36.  My guess would be Sterling based on the timing of the ridge.  They hit -28 pretty easily Sat morning with ideal radiational cooling.  

• Like 1

Y'all come down south to north central Indiana.  Gonna have sunshine and a balmy -18 lol.  Seriously everyone be careful.  I almost had to have 3 toes amputated after the 1/14 event.  I still have to be extra careful with them when it gets cold. Fresh from the south I took it a little too far  That's a hint Snowless :weenie:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Due to upper management having no soul, I will be working tomorrow. Outside. All day. I'm actually a bit nervous. :(

Screw that, I'd call in sick lol.  I'll be working tomorrow as well, but only have to make it from the parking lot to the building.  Just worried about the drive in with all the blowing snow out here in the country.  It was manageable today so it should be okay.

Just now, Hoosier said:

That sucks.  A lot of stuff around here is closing Wed and Thu.

Pretty much everything around here is closed. As it should be. I think I'm pretty prepared, have certainly worked in really cold weather before, but tomorrow (and Thursday AM) is a totally different animal...

Pretty much everything around here is closed. As it should be. I think I'm pretty prepared, have certainly worked in really cold weather before, but tomorrow (and Thursday AM) is a totally different animal...

Roads were pretty dead today as well. I’m sure you were out in it but snow was blowing everywhere this afternoon

18 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

I least hope your role is public safety, infrastructure, or life critical

I think NWS has done a fantastic job banging the drum as to how dangerous this will actually be. This isn’t a “grin and bear it” kind of cold, it’s a “poor first responders have to deal with your frozen corpse” kind of cold. People definitely seem to be taking it seriously, but I would imagine there will still be a fair number of fatalities when it is all said and done. 

The free fall has begun here. Just wanted to give a shoutout to first responders/truck drivers/ mail carriers etc who don’t get the day off. I will have a warm bowl of soup ready and grilled cheese tomorrow for my mail carrier. Seriously everyone, stay safe. WC already down to -20 here. 

• Like 2