• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

Moderating effect of Lake Michigan is just insane. Only -2 still here in Milwaukee but -21 in Burlington. Is there something about that area, perhaps the soil, that causes such an insane temp difference? Waukesha is about just as inland and is at only -9.

Moderating effect of Lake Michigan is just insane. Only -2 still here in Milwaukee but -21 in Burlington. Is there something about that area, perhaps the soil, that causes such an insane temp difference?

Winds are offshore, so it’s really not lake related.

It’s more-so the UHI there as well as areas further west being more low-lying and cold air drainage areas, commonly colder during nights like this.

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Winds are offshore, so it’s really not lake related.

It’s more-so the UHI there as well as areas further west being more low-lying and cold air drainage areas, commonly colder during nights like this.

I think MLI may have a little problem with UHI tonight as well.  They can be one of the colder spots around, but tonight we have a very slight north wind that may be advecting the UHI impacted temps down to MLI from the QC.  Surrounding locations are quite a bit colder. 

51 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

That’s just absurd! They gonna hit near -40 tonight at this rate. Meanwhile holding steady at -5 or so here, I highly doubt we get below -15 next week either.

It's really hard to extrapolate -29 to -40. I have noticed on extremely cold nights the temp drops like a rock, then very suddenly hits a bottom and usually rebounds some, just to crash again to a lower bottom. -40 is much harder to get than -29, however saying you wont get under 15 below next week is way too early to call and I believe there is a very high probability of it busting. Especially since the airmass will be colder AND any warming effects will be severely hampered by this current cold air.

34 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

This morning is out-doing 2014 temp wise in a lot of places around the area, some by a wide margin.

Only difference is little to no wind chill.

This made me look it up and this morning was the coldest air temp for Madison since Feb 1996

• Sad 2

Coldest reading I could find in the state is -32 for a low up in Manitowish Waters. For the southern par of the state it's -29 at Lone Rock. Both of those spots aren't surprising in the least. I wonder what the chances of someone getting close to the state record low are next week. That record is -55 set in Couderay back in the 1996 cold wave.

• Like 1

Also the records for Illinois are -36 set in 1999 at East St Louis, for Minnesota -60 set in 1996 at Tower, for Michigan -51 set in 1934 at Vanderbilt, and for Indiana -36 set in 1994 at New Whiteland and for Iowa -47 set in 1996 at Elkader. I'd say the most likely records to be broken would probably be Illinois and Iowa with a medium chance for Wisconsin and an outside shot for Minnesota and Indiana.

• Like 1

Actually the IL all time coldest temp was recorded in Congerville, not East St. Louis. Pretty crazy that -36ºF was recorded so far south in the state. I live just a few miles from Congerville so I will be disappointed if our record gets taken away from us by a place further north in the state. :lol:

• Like 1