Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super, Duper SWFE

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, wx2fish said:

PSM 24F to 18F last hour. Definitely starting to get some NEerly drain from SW ME

We'll see how far south that gets but I think anyone who gets into that core of the Arctic air wth teens is lights out for any shot at liquid...won't see freezing in the event. I don't see any mechanism to remove it. If it can filter down into E MA, then they are in dip doodoo for lots of icing. As that will give them the necessary buffer needed for latent heat warming before the mesolow cools them again later morning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DFRI said:

Local area mets thinking the temps could get into the 50's here in RI.  Is that really possible????

Temperature Jan.20.2019.JPG

TJ is going to be embarrassed he put up that map.  I'll take the under on that all the way to Newport.  Probably ends up something like 38 in Smithfield and 45 in Newport. Definitely above freezing but not that high... "certified most accurate" :lol:

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice are you in town or staying up at the mountain?  I had 1.5" on my car leaving work a little while ago, so your 1-2" guess is pretty spot on, lol.

It's so cold out and snowing.  The ASOS is at 1.5sm -SN at 2F.  

2 degrees and a Currier and Ives feel this evening as pixie dust falls.

HRRR still a big hit.  Meso-band jackpot runs through the Sugarbush and MPV area.

IMG_1972.thumb.PNG.40c8f991a78bd8db74aff50c58b71118.PNG

First time here and absolutely loving it. Teaching my wife how to ski on Spruce Mt and we are staying in town. Charming town center, nice people, great hosts and restaurants, and deep deep winter. Quintessential New England winter and what's not to love.

Skiing tomorrow should be awesome... 03z HRRR has heavier rates arriving by 5am and then continuing until early afternoon. I'm not familiar with microclimate here, but 12-20" seems a lock.

Quick OT question: any recs for places to watch the Patriots game? I'm looking for someplace with multiple screens and maybe a little playoff atmosphere.

24 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Down to 10" now? What's up with the persistent modeled band of lower totals,.yet pwm progged for 12" and just north of us 17".fc8721ae880c5f19f1ea28397d69ae3e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Look at the screw zone that is Whitefield. They’re lining up to jump of the Rt. 2 bridge over the CT River connecting Guildhall, VT and Lancaster, NH. It’s not as high as the Tobin but because the River is frozen solid it’s just as effective. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This was a cold one.

Impressive! There was one day last year we had SN- when it was below zero. Pretty magical whenever sun popped out.

Being in the south didn't give me that many opportunities for moderate snow events below 20.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We'll see how far south that gets but I think anyone who gets into that core of the Arctic air wth teens is lights out for any shot at liquid...won't see freezing in the event. I don't see any mechanism to remove it. If it can filter down into E MA, then they are in dip doodoo for lots of icing. As that will give them the necessary buffer needed for latent heat warming before the mesolow cools them again later morning. 

Its definitely pressing at the moment. Passing through MHT now and south of 101 on the meso sites

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Its definitely pressing at the moment. Passing through MHT now and south of 101 on the meso sites

I think we should be good locking in that sweet Arctic air for a long time tomorrow. Very impressive cold moving into the region.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

BTV crew has their hands full this evening.  Cold temps, but warming with the increasing SW flow aloft....I still have doubts about some of these moisture estimates, but they are consistent.

7lnQNbR.png

Local tv stations: 

WPTZ has 18”-24” for most of VT with isolated 30” spots along the eastern slopes from I-89 down to Killington. They are banging the sleet drum for Bennington and Rutland counties. 

WCAX has most of VT in a 12”-18” swath and doesn’t hit the mixing all that hard though their graphic indicated rain in SE VT. 

Pretty impressive gradient down the western side of the state, -6 in BTV and 24 in Bennington. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Barrier jet has definitely formed.

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Look at the screw zone that is Whitefield. They’re lining up to jump of the Rt. 2 bridge over the CT River connecting Guildhall, VT and Lancaster, NH. It’s not as high as the Tobin but because the River is frozen solid it’s just as effective. 

Lava Rock must have called GYX and bitch them out so they upped the total so he could have his 12"................:lol:

image.thumb.png.f08d28b8133693455456558065e52707.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Barrier jet has definitely formed.

I don't see anything to stop it really...esp in NE MA and SE NH. if anything, we're only more likely to get a mesolow forming out to the east of MA to strengthen the CAD. Outside of being on the wrong side of the CF, the only warming mechanism I can see is latent heat release form non-snow ptype...but once in the barrier jet, it is going to easily offset that I think. The biggest question for me is how far SW that secondary push of cold air gets.

Should be getting to Ray soon.